Re: Slightly off topic - Latin Mailing Lists?

At 3:47 PM -0500 4/30/97, Kevin D. Johnson wrote:

>Does anyone know of good Latin mailing lists?

A couple days have passed since this question was put, and since nobody
else has responded I thought I'd check the information source I was
aware of and post it; here's a couple:

Latin language LISTSERV@PSUVM.PSU.EDU               SUBSCRIBE LATIN-L

Latin Speaking LISTSERV@PLEARN.EDU.PL               SUBSCRIBE LATINE

I don't know anything about the second one--it may depend on a MOO
arrangement, but I did subscribe to the first at one time; when I
unsubscribed it had become to a considerable extent a medium for
exchange of information on Latin pedagogy in secondary schools with
rather little discussion on linguistic and literary matters. Far more
wide-ranging is the Classics list

Classics LISTPROC@UWASHINGTON.EDU		    SUBSCRIBE CLASSICS

Latin topics get discussed here as much as do classical Greek and
ancient history generally (and occasionally there's a brouhaha about
Hellenistic Greek), but one may also find lengthy strings on academic
accreditation (going on now) or on the ethics of giving exams while
there's a strike of the faculty going on. On the whole, it's quite a
good list, though there come times when you must be ready to exercise
your delete key a few times.

Carl W. Conrad

(314) 935-4018