῾Αμαρτωλος in Luke 7:37

Biblical Greek morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Rhoover60

῾Αμαρτωλος in Luke 7:37

Post by Rhoover60 »

In working on GNT vocabulary, I came across the word κομίζω. I had difficulty learning it and in such cases I will look up the usage of such a word in the GNT in hopes that the meaning will somehow stick. While reading Luke 7:37 [where I see κομίσασα] I noticed that γυνὴ ἥτις was described as an ἁμαρτωλός. I understand the personal/impersonal forms of this adjective, but wondered what might have happened to prevent a feminine form, ἁμαρτωλῆ?
Robert Emil Berge

Re: ῾Αμαρτωλος in Luke 7:37

Post by Robert Emil Berge »

Many adjectives have a common masculine/feminine form, mostly compound adjectives like ἄ-δικος, but also others, as is the case with this word, it seems.
Jonathan Robie

Re: ῾Αμαρτωλος in Luke 7:37

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Robert Emil Berge wrote:Many adjectives have a common masculine/feminine form, mostly compound adjectives like ἄ-δικος, but also others, as is the case with this word, it seems.
You might find this page useful for other examples. I generally like katabiblon for questions like this.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Greek Language and Linguistics”