Greek salutions and valedictions ?

Greek salutions and valedictions ?

Postby Stephen Hughes » October 12th, 2013, 5:28 am

RandallButh wrote:
Johnathan Robie wrote:I wonder if Christians would greet each other with χάρις ὑμῖν / χάρις σοι rather than χαῖρε / χαῖρετε? I think I will use that when the Living Languages people greet me ...

εὐλογήσαι σε ὁ Κύριος

Ruth 4:2 LXX wrote:καὶ ἰδοὺ Βοος ἦλθεν ἐκ Βαιθλεεμ καὶ εἶπεν τοῖς θερίζουσιν ὁ κύριος μεθ’ ὑμῶν καὶ εἶπον αὐτῷ εὐλογήσαι σε Κύριος

Are people who speak Koine using ὁ Κύριος μεθ’ ὑμῶν / μετά σου as well as the εὐλογήσαι σε / ὑμᾶς ὁ Κύριος?

I have also heard Arabic speaking Christians using ربنا معك (Our Lord = God be with you) when someone is leaving like we say "good-bye". But for greeting either السلام عليكم or السلام لك (Peace be upon you or Peace be to you). I had always assumed those were derivatives from the Hebrew שלום - which shows up untranslated in Greek inscriptions - then going to the Greek with a pronoun then transfered to Arabic.

Does anybody use the untranslated שלום? Is the ὁ Κύριος μεθ’ ὑμῶν / μετά σου or something else used for valedictions?
"αἴκα" (The Spartan Ephors' reply to Philip II of Macedon) is even better than "nuts" (General Anthony McAuliffe reply to General Heinrich Freiherr von Lüttwitz).
Stephen Hughes

Return to Syntax and Grammar