Convertible Propositions

Scott Lawson

Convertible Propositions

Post by Scott Lawson »

It just occurred to me that likely only 3rd persons singular linking verbs can ever create convertible propositions. 2nd person singular construction linking verbs would always have a the grammatical "you" as an integral part of the predicate. Does that make sense?
Scott Lawson
David Lim

Re: Convertible Propositions

Post by David Lim »

Scott Lawson wrote:It just occurred to me that likely only 3rd persons singular linking verbs can ever create convertible propositions. 2nd person singular construction linking verbs would always have a the grammatical "you" as an integral part of the predicate. Does that make sense?
I'm not sure whether I understand you correctly, but do you consider "εγω ειμι ο αρτος της ζωης" (John 6:35), "συ ει ο χριστος ο υιος του θεου του ζωντος" (Matt 16:16) and "συ ει ο υιος του θεου" (Mark 3:11) as convertible proposition? I would say that in each of these statements the subject and predicate noun phrase are identified as exactly the same entity. Also, in this case do you consider the 1st/2nd person as part of the predicate? I would rather consider "ειναι" as being conjugated to match the subject, whether it is explicit or not.
δαυιδ λιμ
Scott Lawson

Re: Convertible Propositions

Post by Scott Lawson »

David,

I guess what I'm saying is that the subject is grammaticalized and explicit in all finite verbs except for 3rd person singular linking verbs. I probably shouldn't have used the word predicate in my previous post.
Scott Lawson

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”