NT Greek meets Semitic

Ken M. Penner

Re: NT Greek meets Semitic

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Devenios Doulenios wrote:Are there any freely-accessible online articles or book excerpts which discuss the evidence in favor of colloquial Hebrew use in NT times you could point me to?
Did you get a chance to read Fassberg's article at the link above?
Also see http://www.jerusalemperspective.com/tag ... ge/page/2/
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Thank you for the links, Dr. Penner.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

See the article with an online option mentioned a few posts earlier by Fassberg.
Or the Brill book.
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

There is no way in the world I will be able to get my hands on the Brill book.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Devenios Doulenios

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

Ken,

Thanks for the links. Sorry I overlooked your earlier post with them.

I downloaded the SBL one. The CBQ one was having a problem loading, so I'll try again later to get it.

BTW, do you address which language the Jerusalem-area ossuary inscriptions are in?

Devenios
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

(I have only read Yadin's book, so there may be other evidence I'm not aware of.)
Yadin's book was a bit premature and did, in fact, miss some of the Hebrew evidence that he was involved in uncovering. (Yadin was more of an archeologist than a linguist.) For a better picture see the articles by Kutscher (in Hebrew, 1961-62?), still excellent after 50 years, though now there are even more texts available. For English, you could read the article by Moshe BarAsher in the Compendia Rerum Iudaicarum series: The Literature of the Jewish People in the Period of the Second Temple and the Talmud, Volume 3 Literature of the Sages, CHAPTER 18: MISHNAIC HEBREW: AN INTRODUCTORY SURVEY by Moshe Bar-Asher. Breuer's article on Aramaic is chapter 19.

Again, dated but excellent is Kutscher's volume on the Isaiah Scroll. The study was done in 1959 and I picked up a copy in 1975 for $6. Those were the days, considering that an English version came out shortly afterwards and was asking close to $200. See, it pays to know Hebrew. You should be able to find/order this book in any large university reference library. My favorite survey of the languages and period is Abba Bendavid's first 150 pages in Leshon miqra ulshon Haxamim, 2vol, 1967. What has been strange to watch, and alluded to in Fassberg's article, is the very slow recognition of this kind of work within NT scholarship. Very compartmentalized scholarship. People playing with different sets of cards.
Hefin J. Jones

Post by Hefin J. Jones »

RandallButh wrote: What has been strange to watch, and alluded to in Fassberg's article, is the very slow recognition of this kind of work within NT scholarship. Very compartmentalized scholarship. People playing with different sets of cards.
I don't find this strange at all. It might be a little sad, but not that odd. NT is a very multidisciplinary type of study and the amount of stuff coming out on so many aspects of it is fairly voluminous. Prof. X, of immense reputation on many central topics regarding say historical Jesus studies and Pauline theology, makes some throw away remarks based largely on the textbook views they were taught as an undergrad on some topic which is somewhat tangential to their main foci, and then those remarks are now invested with all of Prof. X's reputation and get repeated for another generation...
Hefin Jones

instructor in New Testament - Koinonia Theological Seminary, Davao
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Devenios Doulenios wrote:do you address which language the Jerusalem-area ossuary inscriptions are in?
No. The question I address is what Hebrais(ti) meant. That can be demonstrated without taking a position on which language was used more.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

Ken M. Penner wrote:
Devenios Doulenios wrote:do you address which language the Jerusalem-area ossuary inscriptions are in?
No. The question I address is what Hebrais(ti) meant. That can be demonstrated without taking a position on which language was used more.
Devenios, the forthcoming volume on Language Environment in First Century Judea has a chapter by Guido Baltes that surveys the inscriptional evidence in Judea including the ossuaries. As you can imagine, the evidence is multilingual. The data do not fit a single profile, but actually have complications that move in several directions simultaneously.

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”