Does δε ever connect phrases (not clauses)?

Jonathan Robie

Does δε ever connect phrases (not clauses)?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

In the syntax trees, I found some cases of δε where it connects phrases that are not clauses. Some of these look like errors, but I found 8 examples where they do not look like errors.

What's the best way to understand these examples? Where can I read a good description of these cases in a grammar or a paper?
Acts16:1:9-16:2:9 wrote:υἱὸς γυναικὸς Ἰουδαίας πιστῆς, πατρὸς δὲ Ἕλληνος
Php2:25:1-2:26:11 wrote:Ἐπαφρόδιτον τὸν ἀδελφὸν καὶ συνεργὸν καὶ συστρατιώτην μου, ὑμῶν δὲ ἀπόστολον καὶ λειτουργὸν τῆς χρείας μου
Tit1:1:1-1:4:6 wrote:Παῦλος δοῦλος θεοῦ, ἀπόστολος δὲ Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ
Phm1:10:1-1:13:16 wrote: Ὀνήσιμον τόν ποτέ σοι ἄχρηστον νυνὶ δὲ σοὶ καὶ ἐμοὶ εὔχρηστον
Heb9:11:1-9:12:18 wrote:διὰ τῆς μείζονος καὶ τελειοτέρας σκηνῆς οὐ χειροποιήτου, τοῦτʼ ἔστιν οὐ ταύτης τῆς κτίσεως, οὐδὲ διʼ αἵματος τράγων καὶ μόσχων διὰ δὲ τοῦ ἰδίου αἵματος
1Pet1:12:1-1:12:27 wrote:οὐχ ἑαυτοῖς ὑμῖν δὲ διηκόνουν αὐτά
1Pet2:13:1-2:14:12 wrote:ἡγεμόσιν ὡς διʼ αὐτοῦ πεμπομένοις εἰς ἐκδίκησιν κακοποιῶν ἔπαινον δὲ ἀγαθοποιῶν
Jud1:1:1-1:1:17 wrote: Ἰούδας Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ δοῦλος, ἀδελφὸς δὲ Ἰακώβου
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
George F Somsel

Re: Does δε ever connect phrases (not clause)?

Post by George F Somsel »

① a marker connecting a series of closely related data or lines of narrative, and, as for. Freq. used in lists of similar things, with a slight call of attention to the singularity of each item (cp. Hom., Il. 3, 144–48).—In tightly knit lists Mt 1:2–16; 2 Pt 1:5–8; relating one teaching to another (in this respect δέ is similar to the use in 2) Mt 5:31; 6:16; Ro 14:1; 1 Cor 7:1; 8:1; 12:1; 15:1; 16:1. Freq. w. the art. in narrative to mark change in the dramatis personae, e.g. Mt 14:17f, Mk 14:31.

William Arndt, Frederick W. Danker, and Walter Bauer, A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000), 213.
139 Ὣς εἰποῦσα θεὰ γλυκὺν ἵμερον ἔμβαλε θυμῷ
140 ἀνδρός τε προτέρου καὶ ἄστεος ἠδὲ τοκήων·
141 αὐτίκα δʼ ἀργεννῇσι καλυψαμένη ὀθόνῃσιν
142 ὁρμᾶτʼ ἐκ θαλάμοιο τέρεν κατὰ δάκρυ χέουσα,
143 οὐκ οἴη, ἅμα τῇ γε καὶ ἀμφίπολοι δύʼ ἕποντο,
144 Αἴθρη, Πιτθῆος θυγάτηρ, Κλυμένη τε βοῶπις·
145 αἶψα δʼ ἔπειθʼ ἵκανον ὅθι Σκαιαὶ πύλαι ἦσαν.

146 Οἱ δʼ ἀμφὶ Πρίαμον καὶ Πάνθοον ἠδὲ Θυμοίτην
147 Λάμπον τε Κλυτίον θʼ Ἱκετάονά τʼ, ὄζον Ἄρηος,
148 Οὐκαλέγων τε καὶ Ἀντήνωρ, πεπνυμένω ἄμφω,

Homer, Iliad: Greek Text, ed. G. P. Goold, vol. 1, Loeb Classical Library (Cambridge, MA; London: Harvard University Press; William Heinemann, 1924), 126.
george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
learn truth, love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus
Jonathan Robie

Re: Does δε ever connect phrases (not clauses)?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Thanks, that's very helpful. (I should have thought to consult BDAG for this ...)
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Yes. It does.

How do your trees treat the μὲν δέ's in Ephesians 4:11?
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

MAubrey wrote:Yes. It does.

How do your trees treat the μὲν δέ's in Ephesians 4:11?
Like this:
maubrey.png
maubrey.png (34.37 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Incidentally, this came up when someone asked a question about δε, and I did a search to make sure that my answer was consistent with the data. Right now, I'm doing a lot more queries on the treebanks, and looking for anything that might be an inconsistency or something that could be improved. Queries point out things that you don't see otherwise.

In this case, I think I learned that the treebank is fine (with a few instances that need fixing). Thanks for the help - I think you'll see more questions as I continue to do this.

The analysis is based on Randall Tan and Andi Wu's work, my transformations are automatic, and I'm no linguist. So I'm learning a lot as I go.
Andrew Chapman

Post by Andrew Chapman »

There seems to be quite a strong sense of contrast in all, or almost all, Jonathan's original list: mother a Jew, but father a Greek; once unprofitable, but now profitable; punishment of evildoers, but praise of those who do good.

Andrew

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”