Cribsheet: Questions in New Testament Greek

Jonathan Robie

Cribsheet: Questions in New Testament Greek

Post by Jonathan Robie »

This is a handout that I'm using in my Greek Sunday School class. I'll be revising it from time to time, feel free to use it, and give me feedback on anything that can be improved. Because my class relies heavily on asking and answering questions in Greek, the class needs to easily recognize questions, and I find it helpful to have a cribsheet when I prepare to teach a text.
Asking Questions in Biblical Greek.pdf
(75.22 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
I intend to add to this and update it from time to time.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Thomas Dolhanty

Re: Cribsheet: Questions in New Testament Greek

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Jonathan Robie wrote:This is a handout that I'm using in my Greek Sunday School class. I'll be revising it from time to time, feel free to use it, and give me feedback on anything that can be improved. Because my class relies heavily on asking and answering questions in Greek, the class needs to easily recognize questions, and I find it helpful to have a cribsheet when I prepare to teach a text.
Asking Questions in Biblical Greek.pdf
I intend to add to this and update it from time to time.
εὐχαριστῶ Jonathan. It is very nice to have this all gathered together in one place and well organized with examples. I will pass this along to those who completed Intro with me last year and are now meeting together weekly to read the GNT and try out some communicative. They will love this.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Thomas Dolhanty wrote:εὐχαριστῶ Jonathan. It is very nice to have this all gathered together in one place and well organized with examples. I will pass this along to those who completed Intro with me last year and are now meeting together weekly to read the GNT and try out some communicative. They will love this.
Thanks! Please give me feedback. I know that I want to add a few things. FWIW, this is an appendix to an article I'm writing on asking and answering questions in Hellenistic Greek, but the article is taking longer and longer as I learn!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I wrote a Jeopardy-style worksheet to help students learn to ask questions. For each statement, the student's job is to ask the right question. This could obviously be extended for all the kinds of questions in the cribsheet, I just asked the ones needed for this particular lesson. I may well post other worksheets along these lines later.

It's usually best to read the statement first, before trying to complete the question.

Ἐρώτημα

τίς; - who?
τίνα; - whom? (accusative)
ποῦ; - where?
πότε; - when?

ἐρώτημα: ___ ἦν ἐν ἀρχῇ; (τίς, τίνα, ποῦ, πότε)
ὁ λόγος ἦν ἐν ἀρχῇ.

ἐρώτημα: πρὸς ____ ἦν ὁ λόγος; (τίς, τίνα, ποῦ, πότε)
ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν.

ἐρώτημα: ___ ἦν ὁ λόγος ἐν ἀρχῇ; (τίς, τίνα, ποῦ, πότε)
ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν.

ἐρώτημα: ____ ἦν ὁ λόγος πρὸς τὸν θεόν; (τίς, τίνα, ποῦ, πότε)
ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος πρὸς τὸν θεόν.

ἐρώτημα: θεὸς ἦν ___; (τίς, τίνα, ποῦ, πότε)
θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος.

ἐρώτημα: ___ ἦν οὗτος πρὸς τὸν θεόν; (τίς, τίνα, ποῦ, πότε)
οὗτος ἦν ἐν ἀρχῇ.

ἐρώτημα: ___ ἦν οὗτος ἐν ἀρχῇ; (τίς, τίνα, ποῦ, πότε)
οὗτος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν.

ἐρώτημα: οὗτος ἦν ἐν ἀρχῇ. ___ ἦν τὸ οὗτος; (τίς, τίνα, ποῦ, πότε)
οὗτος ἦν ὁ λόγος.
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

Few exegetical questions are not answered by asking the text these little question: τίς, τίνα, τίνι, πῶς, πότε, ποῦ, κτλ.

Thanks for this newest resource. If you ever update the crib sheet of questions, please post it again.
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Paul-Nitz wrote:Few exegetical questions are not answered by asking the text these little question: τίς, τίνα, τίνι, πῶς, πότε, ποῦ, κτλ.

Thanks for this newest resource. If you ever update the crib sheet of questions, please post it again.
Yes, I will do that. I've added notes on a few things that I should neaten up so others can understand them, they address the following kind of questions:
  • Questions using negation (Οὐ, μή, etc.)
  • Of what kind? What? Which? (ποῖος, ποταπός)
  • How large? (πηλίκος)
I'll try to get that done in a reasonable time frame and attach it here.
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

Jonathan Robie wrote:I wrote a Jeopardy-style worksheet
I used your questions with my students as a take-home worksheet. It went well. I'd suggest changing the word order of the answers to focus on what is being asked. E.g.
  • QUESTION: πρὸς ____ ἦν ὁ λόγος; (τίς, τίνα, ποῦ, πότε)
    ANSWER: πρὸς τὸν θεόν ὁ λόγος ἦν.
(Rather than, ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν.)
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”