Aorist imperative

Shirley Rollinson

Re: Aorist imperative

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

dransom wrote:Good morning, I'm working through Colossians 3, and am trying to make sure I understand the significance (or lack thereof) of the aorist imperative. I ask some specific questions below. Feel free to answer (simple and straightforward please), or point me to a resource that does.

Primarily, in verse 1, the verb "seek" (ζητέω) is Present Active Imperative. Same thing for "set your minds" (φρονέω) in verse 2.

In verse 5 however, "put to death" (νεκρόω) is Aorist Active Imperative. Is this to differentiate the verbs somehow? Are the first two ("seek" and "set your minds") present, while "putting to death" is tied to the existence of those members?

And what about later in the chapter, in verse 8, "put them away" (ἀποτίθημι), which is Second Aorist Middle Imperative.

I want to understand the passage, and to make sure I'm communicating what is meant to be communicated, and NOT reading in a meaning that is not there.

Thanks so much for your help and your patience!
To put it simply - one can only put something to death *once* - once it's dead, it's dead. Similarly, if one puts something away it stays "put away" (unless one takes it back) So these are "one-time" actions, hence call for an Aorist.
Seeking, and setting one's mind (i.e. keeping one's mind on something) continue over a period of time - hence continuous, or present tense is called for.
Shirley Rollinson

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”