καθ’ ἡμέραν - Nomination for wordhood. (Spoof)

Stephen Hughes

καθ’ ἡμέραν - Nomination for wordhood. (Spoof)

Post by Stephen Hughes »

If there is currently a call for nominations for words to be recognised for induction into the community of wordhoodedness, then I think that the adverbial phrase καθ’ ἡμέραν "daily" is a front-runner. It is a word, which not only occurs frequently in its own right, but has also produced a derived adjective καθημερινός -ή -όν "daily". In view of its status and achievement, it is well worthy to be granted the privilage and right to stand shoulder to shoulder with its authorised brother, sister and non-gender sibling wordhoodees, and to be listed in lexica with its own lemma, definition and etymology, to have its own frequency in word counts, and to be learnt in its own right from vocabulary lists. Following promulgation of notice of its induction, it should be recognised and used by both the learned and the learning in all future endeavours. It's induction at the next ceremony would be especially meaningful as it would join τοῦτ᾽ ἐστιν - which previously had its own wordhood revoked - in overcoming the long-term barrier to the recognition of wordhood status resulting from words having been written with a space between their etymological constituents. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
cwconrad

Re: καθ’ ἡμέραν - Other words for hood(s)

Post by cwconrad »

How about καθ’ ὅλου, κατὰ μέρος, διὰ πασὼν? I think we've already settled on ἱνατί.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
cwconrad

Re: καθ’ ἡμέραν - Nomination for wordhood. (Spoof)

Post by cwconrad »

Stephen Hughes wrote:If there is currently a call for nominations for words to be recognised for induction into the community of wordhoodedness, ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pardon me, I'm just trying to parse this new-minted logostrophe, τούτεστιν "wordhoodedness." It's delicious in its full-throated appeal to the piqued ears of our imaginations. words wearing hoods (I envision a column of monks walking prayerfully into the chapel for vespers --, or should we think rather in terms of lanky teenage kids in hoodies knitted together of yarns of spun words, ἰδοῦ: "wordspun hoodies"! And how should we put that ἑλληνιστί? If "wordhood" is ὀνοματότης or λογότης, then "wordhoodness" must be something like ὀνοματοτήσία or λογοτησία, and as for "wordheadedness"? I feel an attack of Kopfschmerz coming on, but quick, let's try λογοκεφαλία: how many λόγοι can one assemble on the κεφαλή of a βελόνη? μύρια ῥήματα ἄρρητά τε καὶ ἀναρίθμητα ...
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Hughes

Re: καθ’ ἡμέραν - Nomination for wordhood. (Spoof)

Post by Stephen Hughes »

I'd love to be able to use some subject-affected form of ἐπινεύειν, but it that verb doesn't work syntactically as a subject-affected one. I like it because it expresses the subtlety of the host-guest relationship, and the expected body language that would have been part of the exchange if he had agreed to their request. Declining the invitation by not doing a small action is a lot less abrupt than our customary verbal mode of declining offers. Similar to the small incidental glimpses into the social conventions during the regency period that we read about in Jane Austin's description of the two balls, in reading this verse in Greek, we afford ourselves a glimpse into the politeness of the social interaction in the mid first century.
Acts 18:20 wrote:Ἐρωτώντων δὲ αὐτῶν ἐπὶ πλείονα χρόνον μεῖναι παρ’ αὐτοῖς, οὐκ ἐπένευσεν·
Perhaps though, acquiescing to the bestowal of wordhood might not be enough. If a stronger sense is implied, perhaps from the point of view of the decision, ἐπιτροπή ὀνομάτων might do, or from the point of view of the legitimacy of the word's use then κυριότης (II in LSJ) would be more appropriate.

I don't see how it could be all arranged together in one word like English (almost) can, because Greek words already have more morphed especially than English with their number-case etc. endings and prefixes.
Stephen Hughes

Re: καθ’ ἡμέραν - Other words for hood(s)

Post by Stephen Hughes »

cwconrad wrote:How about καθ’ ὅλου, ... ?
I am Groot. :?
Donn't menschen C4.

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”