Alternate spelling or homonym?

Alan Bunning

Re: Alternate spelling or homonym?

Post by Alan Bunning »

Stephen Hughes wrote:Have you found cases where the middle-passive infinitive in -εσθαι replaces/is replaced by the second person indicative/imperative -εσθε, and both could make sense?
I have not gotten that far yet, but will take note of it if I find it.
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

I expect that if there is a significant change in spelling, then the syntax will change too, but if it is just an orthographical variation, then there will be no change. Something like:

Πορεύεσθε ἀπ’ ἐμοῦ πέρδεσθαι. vs. Πορεύεσθε ἕως ἔξω τῆς οἰκίας καὶ πέρδεσθε. :roll:
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

How does your algorithm tell the difference between τις and τίς?

τίς οὐρήσας οὐκ ἐξέπλυνεν; seems the same as τις οὐρήσας οὐκ ἐξέπλυνεν. except that one is in dialogue (what a mother might call out) and the other is in description / narrative.

I'm assuming that the data you are using is not marked for which sections of the text are dialogue and which are description / narrative, so how do you tell those apart?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Alan Bunning

Post by Alan Bunning »

Stephen Hughes wrote:How does your algorithm tell the difference between τις and τίς?

τίς οὐρήσας οὐκ ἐξέπλυνεν; seems the same as τις οὐρήσας οὐκ ἐξέπλυνεν. except that one is in dialogue (what a mother might call out) and the other is in description / narrative.

I'm assuming that the data you are using is not marked for which sections of the text are dialogue and which are description / narrative, so how do you tell those apart?
I followed other's parsings where ever possible, and the rest I had to do those by hand on a case by case basis. There was a considerable number of them to do and in some cases it was a judgement call.

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”