Periphrasis with aorist participles

Stephen Hughes

Periphrasis with aorist participles

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Following on from this latest discovery of my ignorance, are there many examples of periphrasis with aorist participles in the New Testament? It seems that this is a difference between Classical and New Testament Greek.

Is there a ready list of them?

There are a number of articles by Klaas Bentein listed on the Ghent University Academic articles site.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Jonathan Robie

Re: Periphrasis with aorist participles

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I think we may be talking past each other.

See this clarification:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4028&p=27122#p27122
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Hughes

Re: Periphrasis with aorist participles

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Jonathan Robie wrote: April 9th, 2017, 10:16 am I think we may be talking past each other.
That is not necessarily a bad thing. The rules of discourse predetermine the nature of the discourse, including where it breaks down.

Lowering the level of engagement to the grammar and syntax of the text, has the positive effect of seeing how similar everybody's reading of the text is, but it has the negative effect that we can actually miss the fact that others are thinking quite very differently about the text.

Simplifying the level of diversity in frameworks of discussion can also be somewhat unengaging. The fact that we might be talking past each other indicates that we are not just all agreeing with some simplified normative abstract of the language.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”