Preferred terms for the cases

Jonathan Robie

Preferred terms for the cases

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Which of the following Greek terms should be used when teaching cases and why?

Nominative: εὐθεῖα, ὀνομαστική, ὀρθή
Genitive: γενική, κτητική, πατρική
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jonathan Robie

Re: Preferred terms for the cases

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Jonathan Robie wrote: July 25th, 2017, 4:52 pm Which of the following Greek terms should be used when teaching cases and why?

Nominative: εὐθεῖα, ὀνομαστική, ὀρθή
Genitive: γενική, κτητική, πατρική
Background for my question: I don't use the names of cases at all in early lessons, I do introduce the English names later so people can compare what they are learning to commentaries and grammars. I suspect supplying the name of the Greek cases would be helpful too for some things, but most of the commentaries and grammars they will refer to are not written in Greek.

Teachers who use Greek names for cases don't always use the same names.

Kuehner and Blass say this:
Die griechische Sprache hat fünf Kasus (πτώσεις): einen geraden oder unabhängigen (πτῶσις ὀρθή, εὐθεῖα, Casus rectus): Nominativ ὀνομαστική (auch ὀρθή als Name, Dion. Thr. neben ὀνομαστ.), und vier abhängige (πτώσεις πλάγιαι, Casus obliqui): Genetiv (γενική, andere Namen nach Dion. Thr. πατρική u. κτητική), Dativ (δοτική, auch ἐπισταλτική), Akkusativ (αἰτιατική), und Vokativ (κλητική, auch προσαγορευτική).
Translation: The Greek language has five cases (πτώσεις): a direct or independent (πτῶσις ὀρθή, εὐθεῖα, Casus rectus): Nominative ὀνομαστική (also called ὀρθή, Dion. Thr. neben ὀνομαστ.), and four dependent (πτώσεις πλάγιαι, Casus obliqui): Genitive (γενική, other names according to Dion. Thr. πατρική u. κτητική), Dative (δοτική, also ἐπισταλτική), Accusative (αἰτιατική), and Vocative (κλητική, also προσαγορευτική).

So ... should I use ὀνομαστική, γενική, δοτική, αἰτιατική, and κλητική if I use a Greek term in tables and such? Any reason to do this differently?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”