Heb 11:17 προσενήνοχεν - προσέφερεν

timothy_p_mcmahon

Heb 11:17 προσενήνοχεν - προσέφερεν

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

Mike — my apologies if I'm derailing the thread — I've always puzzled over the tense change in the two parallel clauses in Hebrews 11:17. Any suggestions on the difference in nuance between perfect and aorist in this verse?
MAubrey

Re: Heb 11:17 προσενήνοχεν - προσέφερεν

Post by MAubrey »

timothy_p_mcmahon wrote: January 11th, 2018, 4:46 am Mike — my apologies if I'm derailing the thread — I've always puzzled over the tense change in the two parallel clauses in Hebrews 11:17. Any suggestions on the difference in nuance between perfect and aorist in this verse?
The second is actually an imperfect, not an aorist. But the difference simply simply perspective: the first presents the event as completed and the second presents the events as not yet completed, drawing attention to Abraham's faith despite all he had to loose--hence also the re characterization of Abraham as ὁ τὰς ἐπαγγελίας ἀναδεξάμενος.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
timothy_p_mcmahon

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

Thanks for the perspective and the gentle correction of my obvious error!
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

timothy_p_mcmahon wrote: January 12th, 2018, 5:29 am Thanks for the perspective and the gentle correction of my obvious error!
I'm famous for mis-parsing things very publicly on my website to my own embarrassment! We're all just trying to help each other out!
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”