Scribes don’t augment right

Alan Bunning

Scribes don’t augment right

Post by Alan Bunning » September 10th, 2018, 11:49 am

I have noticed a lot of words where the scribe leaves off the augment when it should have been present according to the normal rules of conjugation (and sometimes even puts augments on words where it doesn’t belong). Perseus has a lot of such forms labelled as “unaugmented”. Is there a pattern or certain conjugations or circumstances where this is allowed to occur? Or is it random and Perseus is just recording some of the forms where it commonly occurs?
0 x

MAubrey

Re: Scribes don’t augment right

Post by MAubrey » September 10th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Without checking I don't know for sure, but I'd expect that the majority of unaugmented verbs in Perseus are in poetry, particularly since Perseus is heavily weighted toward the Classical period.
Threatte (1996, 02) wrote:"Both the syllabic and temporal augment are frequently omitted in metrical inscriptures of all periods whenever the omission facilitates the metre. But the augment is virtually never omitted in Attic inscriptions in prose.
What you're seeing with scribes is probably the decline of the augment's use in general in Byzantine Greek.
Horrocks (2010,77) wrote:The syllabic augment, after a long period of uncertainty, eventually disappeared unless accented, with exceptions in Pontus (still) and western Asia Minor (formerly), the Dodecanese, Chios, many of the Cyclades, and some parts of the Peloponnese, Crete and the Ionian islands.
0 x
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
Koine-Greek.com

Alan Bunning

Post by Alan Bunning » September 11th, 2018, 8:01 am

MAubrey wrote:
September 10th, 2018, 4:08 pm
Without checking I don't know for sure, but I'd expect that the majority of unaugmented verbs in Perseus are in poetry, particularly since Perseus is heavily weighted toward the Classical period.
Threatte (1996, 02) wrote:"Both the syllabic and temporal augment are frequently omitted in metrical inscriptures of all periods whenever the omission facilitates the metre. But the augment is virtually never omitted in Attic inscriptions in prose.
What you're seeing with scribes is probably the decline of the augment's use in general in Byzantine Greek.
Horrocks (2010,77) wrote:The syllabic augment, after a long period of uncertainty, eventually disappeared unless accented, with exceptions in Pontus (still) and western Asia Minor (formerly), the Dodecanese, Chios, many of the Cyclades, and some parts of the Peloponnese, Crete and the Ionian islands.
Thanks, that is good to know. I guess I will then view such unaugmented words as a valid phenomenon, rather than scribal errors.
0 x

Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson » September 12th, 2018, 2:12 am

It might be interesting to see some examples of missing augments, especially if they are pretonic.
0 x
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Alan Bunning

Post by Alan Bunning » September 12th, 2018, 8:34 am

Stephen Carlson wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 2:12 am
It might be interesting to see some examples of missing augments, especially if they are pretonic.
I will try to remember to keep a list of them as I come across them while I am morphologically parsing the texts. I don't remember seeing very many of them, but just enough to raise a flag with me. Some of them probably have already been marked as scribal errors, but now I will probably tag them differently.
0 x