οι καθ ενα

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
David Lim

οι καθ ενα

Post by David Lim »

[Eph 5:33] "υμεις οι καθ ενα εκαστος την εαυτου γυναικα ουτως αγαπατω ως εαυτον"
From what I gather "οι καθ ενα" means "individually". How the three words are put together? I guess that it is used only with the plural, and I also guess that it should also be used as "τα καθ εν" and "αι κατα μια" to agree with the gender. I found "οἱ καθ΄ ἕνα" in Basil (http://www.ellopos.gr/mystics/basil/14.asp?pg=3). Does anyone who has TLG mind helping me check for occurrences of these three? (I cannot access the abridged TLG at http://www.tlg.uci.edu/demo/fontsel for some reason.)
δαυιδ λιμ
Scott Lawson

Re: οι καθ ενα

Post by Scott Lawson »

David,
I just want to take the time to say that I learn a lot from your observations and questions.

Here are some comments from Robertson that I hope are helpful in advancing this thread. Likely you have already come to a conclusion similar to that of Robertson’s below and are seeking out how common the construction is:

...καὶ ὑμεῖς οἱ καθ’ ἕνα, ἕκαστος τὴν ἑαυτοῦ γυναῖκα οὕτως ἀγαπάτω ὡς ἑαυτόν,...

“…Do ye also severally love (καὶ ὑμεῖς οἱ καθ’ ἕνα ἕκαστος ἀγαπάτω) An unusual idiom. The verb ἀγαπάτω (present active imperative) agrees with ἕκαστος and so is third singular instead of ἀγάπατε (second plural) like ὑμεῖς. The use of οἱ καθ’ ἕνα after ὑμεῖς = " ye one by one " and then ἕκαστος takes up (individualizes) the "one" in partitive apposition and in the third person…”
Scott Lawson
David Lim

Re: οι καθ ενα

Post by David Lim »

Scott Lawson wrote:David,
I just want to take the time to say that I learn a lot from your observations and questions.
Thanks!
Scott Lawson wrote: Here are some comments from Robertson that I hope are helpful in advancing this thread. Likely you have already come to a conclusion similar to that of Robertson’s below and are seeking out how common the construction is:

[...]
Yes. Since the only instances I can find are in Eph 5:33 and in Basil, I am wondering whether the TLG has plenty more. I do agree with Robertson's statement, but unfortunately it does not seem to explain the idiom itself. For in Basil we have "και ως μερη δε εν ολω οι καθ ενα εσμεν εν τω πνευματι οτι οι παντες εν ενι σωματι εις εν πνευμα εβαπτισθημεν" = "moreover also, as parts in [a] whole, individually we are in the spirit because we all in one body were immersed into one spirit." Here "εσμεν" is plural. So it seems that "οι καθ ενα" functions as a normal adverb, which is optional, and the singular verb in Eph 5:33 is not really due to it. Rather, it is natural to move from a group to each individual by using "εκαστος", like in Matt 18:35, Luke 2:3, John 7:53, 16:32, Acts 2:6,8, Eph 4:25, Phlp 2:4, Heb 8:11, Rev 5:8, Rev 20:13.
δαυιδ λιμ

Return to “Word Meanings”