a complete list of lexical semantic issues in Revelation

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
Stirling Bartholomew

a complete list of lexical semantic issues in Revelation

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

I am working on Revelation for the STEP bible and at this time I need a list of lexical semantic problems in the book which would lead to alternative translations. Not different ways of expressing the same meaning in English but different meanings which result in different translations. I have already put in an ILL request for the UBS Translators guide and the SIL exegetical handbooks on revelation. While I am waiting for these to arrive I have been looking on the web for some systematic treatment of lexical issues and all I keep running into is commentaries most of which I already have. For example, David Aune (3 vols WBC) who does address lexical issues on occasion but not systematically.

Does anyone know of an accessible up to date online source?
C. Stirling Bartholomew
George F Somsel

Re: a complete list of lexical semantic issues in Revelation

Post by George F Somsel »

Not lexical, but grammatical. You might consider
https://archive.org/details/johanninegrammar00abborich
george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
learn truth, love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: a complete list of lexical semantic issues in Revelation

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Hello George,

You know, both R. H. Charles and David Aune have significant treatments of "vocabulary" in their commentaries. The focus however is on rare words or words that occur infrequently. The problem with this is lexical semantic issues often occur with words which are common enough to have a wide distribution among several semantic domains. For this reason exegetical problems with vocabulary are not really address adequately when the focus is on rare words. Some most difficult semantic issues crop up when a very common word is used in context where it appears to have an inappropriate referent or an unusual sense. Mining these issues out of a long commentary like David Aune (WBC) is kind of labor intensive.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Word Meanings”