Class. λέγειν v. Koine συλλέγειν, ἐκλέγεσθαι, ἐξηγεῖσθαι, ἀν

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
Stephen Hughes

Class. λέγειν v. Koine συλλέγειν, ἐκλέγεσθαι, ἐξηγεῖσθαι, ἀν

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Stephen Hughes in the [url=http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2432#p15363]What vocabulary does the NT word-list represent? thread[/url] wrote:
cwconrad wrote:I have no idea what percentage of [Dionysius of Halicarnassus and Lucian's] vocabularies might lie outside of whatever might be considered a "standard" Koine vocabulary, but the whole question of registers of administrative, literary, mercantile, vernacular, etc. Greek comes into play here, does it not?
[It is difficult for me to see] the difference between Koine and Attic vocabulary. I need to give that question some [thought].
No time to start like the present, and no place to start like the easiest.

LSJ contains many meanings for λέγειν λέγω (B) that the word meant in the pre-classical and classical periods. That range of meanings seems to have shifted by the New Testament times.

Is my understanding correct, that in the Koine period, the many meaning earlier carried by λέγειν were carried by a range of words now?
  • gather - συλλέγειν
    choose (for oneself) - ἐκλέγεσθαι
    relate (say what somebody else said) - ἀναγγελεῖν, ἀπαγγελεῖν, γνωρίζειν, ??ἐξηγεῖσθαι?? (perhaps this is still covered by λέγειν) [He related that he said such and so]
BDAG doesn't seem to distinguish when λέγειν is the person's own words or another's. [Has anyone work through that?]

There are some other words for this:
Acts 4:23 wrote:Ἀπολυθέντες δὲ ἦλθον πρὸς τοὺς ἰδίους (also perhaps understood as applying also to the other side of the καί I think) καὶ ἀπήγγειλαν ὅσα πρὸς αὐτοὺς οἱ ἀρχιερεῖς καὶ οἱ πρεσβύτεροι εἶπον
1 John 5 wrote:Καὶ αὕτη ἐστὶν ἡ ἐπαγγελία ἣν ἀκηκόαμεν ἀπ᾽ αὐτοῦ, καὶ ἀναγγέλλομεν ὑμῖν, ὅτι ὁ Θεὸς φῶς ἐστιν, καὶ σκοτία ἐν αὐτῷ οὐκ ἔστιν οὐδεμία
John 15:15 wrote: οὐκέτι ὑμᾶς λέγω δούλους ὅτι ὁ δοῦλος οὐκ οἶδεν τί ποιεῖ αὐτοῦ ὁ κύριος ὑμᾶς δὲ εἴρηκα φίλους ὅτι πάντα ἃ ἤκουσα (by implication) παρὰ τοῦ πατρός μου ἐγνώρισα ὑμῖν
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Word Meanings”