The true meaning of μετανοεῖν/μετανοῆσαι in the Greek.

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
Stephen Hughes

The true meaning of μετανοεῖν/μετανοῆσαι in the Greek.

Post by Stephen Hughes »

On more than one occasion, I've heard that the true meaning of μετανοεῖν in the Greek is "to change one's mind". Is that a reasonable claim to make?

Can μετανοεῖν be used of becoming more wicked, or is it always in the "onward and upward" direction?

I have the impression that it is directional and that it involves something more fundamental (or more extensive) than just one's mind. The question is though, what do people understand by the English words "mind", and "change".

I tnink that the best way to translate, "to change one's mind (after considering things)" to Greek would be μεταμέλεσθαι. Mind in the sense of "opinion (about something based on what you've come to know about it and can change on the basis of considering new information)" is more γνώμη.

Is there any grounds for it being understood as like a spiritual brain transplant. I've heard people praying - presumably based on this paraphrase - "change my mind, give me a new mind". Is μετανοεῖν an action that could ever have any transitivity, that God could do it for someone?

It seems that the simplification to "change one's mind" may not be accurate and may open doors to creative interpretations.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Tony Pope

Re: The true meaning of μετανοεῖν/μετανοῆσαι in the Greek.

Post by Tony Pope »

You might find this older study of interest:
E F Thompson, 'ΜΕΤΑΝΟΕΩ and ΜΕΤΑΜΕΛΕΙ in Greek Literature until 100 A.D.' in Historical and Linguistic
Studies in Literature Related to the N.T., 2nd series 1:351-77, 1909
https://archive.org/stream/historicalli ... 0/mode/2up

However, the study is incomplete because there is no discussion of the noun form μετάνοια.

Jos War 1.92 is in the context of Alexander Janneus who decided to stop fighting his rebellious subjects and try to persuade them instead.
οἱ δὲ μᾶλλον ἐμίσουν τὴν μετάνοιαν αὐτοῦ καὶ τοῦ τρόπου τὸ ἀνώμαλον
[Whiston: but this mutability and irregularity of his conduct made them hate him still more.
Cornfeld: But they hated and distrusted him all the more for his change of policy and inconsistency of character.]

In Chariton 1.9.6 the pirate Theron has thought of killing Callirhoe but then decides to sell her as a slave.
ταχεῖα δὲ διὰ τὸ κέρδος ἐγένετο μετάνοια
[Goold: thinking of the possible profit he quickly changed his mind.]

My take is that the word in itself denotes that you change your mind or purpose because you perceive that your previous attitude was not advantageous to you. Whether your new attitude is morally superior or merely for your own convenience is something to be deduced from the context not the word itself. But evidently in the NT the context always shows the change is morally for the better.

Return to “Word Meanings”