Strabo concerning Thessalonica

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
Wes Wood

Strabo concerning Thessalonica

Post by Wes Wood »

I was unsure where to put this question. I decided to put it here as an etymology question: what do we think Strabo meant with these words about Thessalonica?

Strabo 7.fragments.20 "μέση δ᾽ οὖσα ἡ Μεθώνη τῆς μὲν Πύδνης ὅσον τετταράκοντα σταδίων ἀπέχει, τῆς Ἀλώρου δὲ ἑβδομήκοντα. ἔστι δ᾽ ἡ Ἄλωρος τὸ μυχαίτατον τοῦ Θερμαίου κόλπου: λέγεται δὲ Θεσσαλονίκεια διὰ τὴν ἐπιφάνειαν." Admitting I have no idea where Aloros was and ignoring the fact that Strabo seems to be calling Thessalonica Aloros, what did he mean by the phrase "λέγεται δὲ Θεσσαλονίκεια διὰ τὴν ἐπιφάνειαν."? Is it fair to assume that he is recounting a tradition of an epiphany of Apollo around the time of the the Battle of Crocus field, or perhaps that Philip was his avatar?

On the Battle of Crocus Field: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Crocus_Field
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Stephen Carlson

Re: Strabo concerning Thessalonica

Post by Stephen Carlson »

LSJ wrote:ἐπιφάν-εια [ᾰ], ἡ,
A. appearance, coming into light or view, τῆς ἡμέρας day-break, dawn, Plb.3.94.3; in war, sudden appearance of an enemy, Aen.Tact.31.8, Plb.1.54.2, Ascl.Tact.12.10(pl.), Onos.22.3(pl.).
2 esp. of deities appearing to a worshipper, manifestation, D.H.2.68, Plu.Them.30; advent, D.S.2.47; τὰς ὑπʼ αὐτῆς (sc. Ἀρτέμιδος) γενομένας ἐναργεῖς ἐ. SIG867.35 (Ephesus,ii A.D.); a manifestation of divine power, τὰς ἐ. τᾶς Παρθένου Klio16.204 (Chersonesus, iii B.C.), cf.LXX 2 Ma.15.27, D.S.1.25.
3the first coming of Christ, 2 Ep.Ti.1.10; the second, 1 Ep.Ti.6.14,al.
4 of the accession of Caligula, Inscr.Cos391.
5. appearance, aspect, οἰκετικὴ ἐ. Myro 2 J.; κατὰ τὴν ἐ., distd.fr. κατὰ τὴν ἐπίφασιν, Plb.25.3.6.
II. visible surface of a body, superficies, Democr.155 (pl.), Arist.Cat.5a2, Metaph.1002a4, Ph.209a8, Sens.439a31, Euc.1 Deff.,Ph.Bel.70.27, Damian.Opt. 11; ἡ κατὰ πρόσωπον ἐ. the front, Plb.1.22.10; κατὰ τὰς ἐ. μάχεσθαι to fight in front, Id.3.116.10; ἐ. ἡ ἐκ δεξιῶν Arr.Tact.21.3; αἱ τρεῖς ἐ. τῆς πόλεως its three visible sides, Plb.4.70.9; the surface or skin of the body, D.S.3.29, Pap. in AJP24.327, Gal.16.530, etc.; μυδῶντα τὴν ἐ. Luc.Philops.11; τῆς ἔνδον ἐ. τῶν ἐντέρων Gal.18(1).2.
2. outward show, fame, distinction, esp. arising from something unexpected, Pl. Alc.1.124c; ἐ.ποιεῖν to create a sensation, Is.7.13: in pl., Isoc.6.104, D.S.19.1; τὰ πρὸς ἐπιφάνειαν καὶ δόξαν ἀνήκοντα OGI763.19 (Milet., ii B.C.), cf. Arr.Epict.3.22.29.
Could be II.2. "fame" which is how the translation on Perseus takes it. Maybe just plain "appearance".

You should note that there are questions about the corruption of the text.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Wes Wood

Re: Strabo concerning Thessalonica

Post by Wes Wood »

Sorry for my late response. It is in no way an indication of a lack of gratitude on my part for your response. I was unaware of the corruption of the text, but it is an interesting wrinkle. Strabo's Geography is a work that I wouldn't mind reading all the way through, were it not for the content. What I mean is that his Greek isn't too difficult for me, but it seems almost as boring as Exodus 25 and the chapters that follow it. In any event, it can't compete with other authors.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ

Return to “Word Meanings”