Example of 3rd decl., velar-stem, ending in χ

Stephen Hughes

Re: Example of 3rd decl., velar-stem, ending in χ

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Wes Wood wrote:I learned them separately. To be honest, I might never have known there was a difference if I hadn't explored a lexicon instead of vocabulary lists.
There are still older family members that call me Stevie. The difference is the iota before the number-case endings.

Where does ψίξ occur? It is not in RP.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

It may be that I'm really slow, but I don't know what you mean by RP.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

I could not remember where I had seen this particular word, so I went on a little hunt. There is a text note in NA 28 for Lk. 16:21 that lists psichwn as an insertion in D. I was beginning to wonder if I had lost my mind. I am going to comfort myself by saying today's troubles have been the result of my fever. Now if only I had an excuse for every other day of my life ;)
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Stephen Hughes

RP - Majority text

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Wes Wood wrote:It may be that I'm really slow, but I don't know what you mean by RP.
RP means Robinson & Pierpont - a critical text of the Majority Text - Byzantine Text-type Byz. 99% of my quotations that you will see here (or elsewhere) are from that text. I prefer it because it has the most polished Greek, and the longest history and most wide-spread acceptance in the Church of any of the Text-types.
Stephen Carlson

Re: RP - Majority text

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Wes Wood wrote:It may be that I'm really slow, but I don't know what you mean by RP.
RP means Robinson & Pierpont - a critical text of the Majority Text - Byzantine Text-type Byz. 99% of my quotations that you will see here (or elsewhere) are from that text. I prefer it because it has the most polished Greek, and the longest history and most wide-spread acceptance in the Church of any of the Text-types.
I didn't realize that you prefer quoting RP. Thanks for letting us know. As for me, I prefer quoting the text closest to what the author actually wrote, but de gustibus non disputandum est.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Stephen Carlson wrote:I didn't realize that you prefer quoting RP. Thanks for letting us know. As for me, I prefer quoting the text closest to what the author actually wrote, but de gustibus non disputandum est.
I do have a look at other text-forms and if I feel that the difference between the Majority text (as witnessed in RP) is significantly different from the NA-USB then I put a parenthetical "RP" in the quote line. :geek:

In the illuminated manuscripts, there are pictures of the various authours penning their works, so I guess that those reading / copying the texts also shared your belief that the text they were reading was the words of the authour. ;)
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Stephen Carlson wrote: As for me, I prefer quoting
I personally prefer quoting whichever text I copy and text using my phone. :) Except for those rare days when I am home and can actually use my computer.
Stephen Hughes wrote:
Thanks for this. Now that you mention it, I remember you alluding to that before. Seems like I remember an exchange between you two on that thread as well...
cwconrad

The utility of obiter dicta

Post by cwconrad »

I can't help but take note here of how these threads go on forever without much accretion of information about the original query. It's all snippets of conversation, all little autobiographical notes on personal preferences, that seem to be the catalyst for ongoing λαλία. Methinks, however, that this is what helps to constitute a "community" of inquiry.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Ken M. Penner wrote:
Ken M. Penner wrote: ψιξ, -ικός, ἡ
I see this is a typo in the first and online editions. I wonder if it has been fixed in the recent book edition.
It has been fixed, at http://www.westarinstitute.org/wp-conte ... System.pdf
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
David Lim

Re: The utility of obiter dicta

Post by David Lim »

cwconrad wrote:I can't help but take note here of how these threads go on forever without much accretion of information about the original query. It's all snippets of conversation, all little autobiographical notes on personal preferences, that seem to be the catalyst for ongoing λαλία. Methinks, however, that this is what helps to constitute a "community" of inquiry.
Maybe we should set up a specialized subforum where we can freely go off-tangent onto anything under the sun. :)
δαυιδ λιμ

Return to “Other”