Extended Greek Passage to Memorize

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.
Stuckiml

Extended Greek Passage to Memorize

Post by Stuckiml »

As one aid among many to help me internalize the core (i.e. most commonly used) Ancient Greek morphology and syntax, I thought I'd try to memorize an extended passage that represents this core. I'm wondering if John chapters 1-6 or Iliad book I would serve this purpose well. I'd be interested and grateful to hear any recommendations. Best Regards.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Extended Greek Passage to Memorize

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

An extraordinarily helpful exercise that doesn't get enough press. Practically any passage from any ancient text of the length you are suggesting will be helpful. I think it might be good to do somewhat shorter passages from several authors. That way you get a broader range of styles...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

And pick passages of the kind of Greek you want to read. If you want to read the New Testament, and don't particularly want to read Homer, then Homer is less helpful.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stuckiml

Post by Stuckiml »

Thank you both for your thoughtful and encouraging replies! I'm going to focus on the first six chapters of John. My scheme is to repeatedly listen to Randall Buth's fine reading of it and to write out a verse each day on a 3x5 index card that I carry around with me and think on throughout the day.
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Also, you could add Matthew 6:9-13, Matt. 5:3-12, or some of the hymns from Revelation, eg Rev. 15:3-4
Devenios Doulenios

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

I also encourage you to dip your toe(s) into the Septuagint. You could memorize some favorite Psalm, e.g., Psa. 23 (22 in the Greek order), some of Proverbs, or passages from Genesis (e.g., the creation accounts in Gen. 1-2).

Whichever passage you start with, you are about to embark on a great adventure! Don't lose sight of that and don't let the need to learn some "nuts and bolts" discourage you.

All the best, and God bless!

Δεβένιος Δουλένιος
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
Stuckiml

Post by Stuckiml »

Shirley, Devenios: many thanks! I feel like a kid at his birthday party having fine friends bringing precious gifts, treasures new and old. God bless you! Please, any others, feel free to add to my list!
daveburt

Post by daveburt »

I'd second the Psalms and also suggest the rest of Matthew 5-7; Romans 5:1-11; 1 Corinthians 13; 15:1-11; Philippians 2:5-11; Exodus 20:1-21.

Audio for the whole Greek Bible (modern pronunciation, ancient text, quite fast) is available here: http://listen.bible.is/GRKEPT/Matt/5

Return to “Teaching and Learning Greek”