Who does their main bible reading in Greek?

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.

Re: Who does their main bible reading in Greek?

Postby Devenios Doulenios » August 12th, 2013, 3:17 pm

And Barry is right, it definitely does stretch your vocabulary muscles to read outside the NT. I heartily recommend it.

Try some Attic or Homer too. I'm reading some selections from Xenophon's Memoriblia and the Apology for Socrates with some "review" lessons in Attic grammar and it is very interesting.
"τὴν ζωὴν καὶ τὸν θάνατον δέδωκα πρὸ προσώπου ὑμῶν τὴν εὐλογίαν καὶ τὴν κατάραν ἔκλεξαι τὴν ζωήν ἵνα ζῇς σὺ καὶ τὸ σπέρμα σου"-Dt. 30:19

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
Devenios Doulenios

Postby Barry Hofstetter » August 13th, 2013, 12:03 am

Devenios Doulenios wrote:And Barry is right, it definitely does stretch your vocabulary muscles to read outside the NT. I heartily recommend it.

Try some Attic or Homer too. I'm reading some selections from Xenophon's Memoriblia and the Apology for Socrates with some "review" lessons in Attic grammar and it is very interesting.

When the Romans learned Greek formally, they usually started with Homer. 2 years ago I did a unit in Homer with my advanced Greek class. I hadn't read Homer extensively since grad school, and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it, and ended up reading far ahead of the class. It struck me as I did so that it was really often quite easy Greek. All one has to do is forget the dactylic hexameter and use a more prose word order, and much of it is no more difficult than NT Greek, once one gets used to the vocabulary and forms (which really aren't all that different). I thought, "Maybe there was a good reason the Romans started with Homer..."
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
Barry Hofstetter

Postby Stephen Carlson » August 13th, 2013, 1:17 am

I started with Homer (Clyde Pharr's textbook). I loved it.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke, New Testament)
Stephen Carlson

Previous

Return to Teaching and Learning Greek