New Testament Greek Vocabulary Assessment

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.
cwconrad

New Testament Greek Vocabulary Assessment

Post by cwconrad »

The eventual goal of this site is to quickly assess the vocabulary coverage of a student learning New Testament Greek and to better understand coverage across the lexicon at various stages in a student’s progression.
The immediate goal is just to gather some data. So the site will just test you on your knowledge of the meaning of various nouns in the Greek New Testament.
There are no user accounts so there’s no need to sign up or anything. You can answer as many questions as you like and come back to this site at any time. It’s completely anonymous.
You can be an established Greek scholar or just a beginning student (in fact, I need a wide range of knowledge levels) but you should have learnt at least a small vocabulary.
http://vocab.oxlos.com
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Hughes

Re: New Testament Greek Vocabulary Assessment

Post by Stephen Hughes »

There is an assumption that knowing a gloss means knowing wat a word means.

It would me much easier if there were pages with 25 or so words together, and if the answer "definitely" implied "give me the next word" please.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Stephen Hughes wrote:There is an assumption that knowing a gloss means knowing wat a word means.

It would me much easier if there were pages with 25 or so words together, and if the answer "definitely" implied "give me the next word" please.
I quite agree. It conceives of vocabulary acquisition in the same manner as flash cards and interlinears; it's also pretty much what people want a pocket NT Greek lexicon for. It's the be-all and end-all of the grammar-translation pedagogy at its least common denominator end: "get the gloss" and substitute it for the Greek word, whether it really fits or not. "Assessment" is quantitative, not qualitative.

Carl W. Conrad
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

cwconrad wrote:It conceives of vocabulary acquisition in the same manner as flash cards and interlinears; it's also pretty much what people want a pocket NT Greek lexicon for. It's the be-all and end-all of the grammar-translation pedagogy at its least common denominator end: "get the gloss" and substitute it for the Greek word, whether it really fits or not. "Assessment" is quantitative, not qualitative.
The year before last and for 3 years prior to that, I was memorising glosses for the words that occur once or twice (or effectively once or twice because they are in the same set phrases) by rite learning glosses with only limited success.

If this programme allowed me to say that I DO know all the words occurring so many times or more it would be more meaningful, rather than going through words I learnt 20 years ago.
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

It does take a VERY long time to work through - and it never seems to end .
It's a bit disconcerting to have proper names mixed in.
And if you're going to give cases other than Nominative Singular, you might ask for parsing also
Shirley Rollinson

There's sometrhing weird with the reply box - it doesn't whow any type, a;though the "Preview" whows text - but then none of the previous "replies" show any text either.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I got bored and gave up after about five minutes.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Hughes

The (empty) promise of statistics

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Shirley Rollinson wrote:It does take a VERY long time to work through - and it never seems to end .
I saw a promise that statistics would be released if I did 18 more words, then 17, then it went on without seeming to end.
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Those of us who've chattered about it seem to agree that it's a stupid "assessment" and one has to wonder cui bono? -- what benefit does any teacher or learner derive from what this sort of device provides? I'm sorry I called attention to it in this forum. I found it in the AWOL (Ancient World On Line listing of Open Source resources for Classicists.

Carl W. Conrad
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

It's the sort of thing those of us in the "state-education-system" have to concoct to satisfy govt. burocrats.
That's why I resigned as Chair, and went back to spending my time teaching students.
And even at that I have an increasing amount of busywork to feed into the "education assessment" mill.
Shirley R.
jtauber

Post by jtauber »

As the comments here have been so disparaging of my experiment, I feel I should chime in, despite this being an old thread.

What you see on that site is a preliminary study I was doing into the relationship between the frequency of a word (just nouns initially) and its likelihood of being known. Which high-frequency words are less likely to be known? Which low-frequency words are more likely to be known? Are there systematic reasons for the outliers? etc.

The initial goal was to gather data to then apply to vocabulary learning systems (as part of the online learning framework at oxlos.com).

It was also an experiment in using inflected forms rather than just the nominative singular, which I still think has merit.

I'm disappointed to hear people thought it was a waste of time.
James Tauber
http://jktauber.com/

Return to “Teaching and Learning Greek”