Audio of Revelation?

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.
Tim Evans

Audio of Revelation?

Post by Tim Evans »

Has anyone done recordings of sections of Revelation using one of the more modern pronunciations?

(Actually I can deal with any pronunciation, but I am wondering if there are any using the Booth or Modern pronunciation that I haven't come across online)
Jonathan Haley

Re: Audio of Revelation?

Post by Jonathan Haley »

Perhaps you are already aware of the Bible.is (Apostolos Vavylis) reading of the 1904 Ecumenical Patriarchal Text. For my money, the best I've ever run across.
Jonathan Haley
Tim Evans

Post by Tim Evans »

This is super awesome!

How close is this text to NA28 / UBS5? Or is it more close to a "reconstructed" KJV?
Devenios Doulenios

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

Tim Evans wrote:This is super awesome!

How close is this text to NA28 / UBS5? Or is it more close to a "reconstructed" KJV?
It is a Byzantine-type text, so would be closer to a Majority Text edition such as Robertson-Pierpoint.

Another great Koine NT audio set is that of John Simon. See a review at our own Louis Sorensen's http://www.letsreadgreek.com.

Δεβἐνιος Δουλἐνιος
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

I think a recording of Revelations in Buth's Restored Koine would be great. John Schwandt has recorded the whole NT Koine text in a restored Koine Greek pronunciation for Logos. Logos Software (https://www.logos.com/product/45485/gre ... ns-dataset) has recordings by John Schwandt of Erasmian, Koine (Buth), and Modern Greek pronunciations. (I have not reviewed Schwandt's modern and Koine recordings as of yet -- so I cannot give feedback on these recordings). When I last listened to an earlier version of Logos' Schwandt's recordings, I was not able to listen to a "smooth flow recording." Logos' Schwandt's audio had pauses between every word. That means that recording is not a recording a person can listen to in order to understand the whole text in the way a person would listen to a speech as given by an original speaker of the language. A number of people I know have intentions to record the whole NT in Buth's "Restored Koine" or "Imperial Koine." But at the current time, hardly anyone has produced any audio that is available for purchase or for free. You can download recordings of the Koine Greek NT text in modern Greek pronunciation, but freely available "Restored Koine" Greek recordings are not freely available.

Randall Buth has recorded audio of several NT books (in a restored Koine pronunciation) available for purchase. I have made several recordings of GNT books (in Restored/Imperial Koine pronunciation (RIKP) of the Gospel of Mark available online. But a full NT recording of the NT in the "Restored Koine / Imperial Koine" pronunciation (following Buth's Restored/Imperial Koine pronunciation) is not currently freely available. I strongly believe that in the next 5 years a recording of the whole text of the Greek NT will be freely available.

Any contributors?
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Which sections are you after? It only takes a few minutes to rattle off a chapter and upload it. My reading might do you till the big projects are completed.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Tim Evans

Post by Tim Evans »

Thanks for your kind offer. I am working on memorising chapters 1:1-2:7, 5, and chapters 21-22 for an exam coming up in 7 days. While it is not completely necessary for to memorise it, I view it as a very worthwhile exercise (exam or not). I can probably make do with the link already provided above, but if you did have time to do some recording I would certainly find it very useful. (I am sure others would as well).
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

sections of Revelation using one of the more modern pronunciations
Try this folder. The reading does little than prove my inability to control the vowels in production. I seem to use the "or more" at the same time.
Tim Evans

Post by Tim Evans »

You've done a great job there, nice work! You should consider creating more, I don't mean for my benefit alone, but for others as well. I recognise the difficulty with maintaining consistent pronunciation (but at least in my opinion) anything that is not "standard" pronunciation its pleasant to my ears.

Thanks! :D :D :D
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Tim Evans wrote:the difficulty with maintaining consistent pronunciation
Have a listen to Romans 6:12-23 from just now in this folder. That's concentrating on the vowels, which is more accurate, but is done at the expense of any sort of expressiveness or flow.
Tim Evans wrote:You should consider creating more,
In principle, I don't mind the idea of a get-by-till-better-comes-along approach to things. Simple healthy food without embelishment is better than none. But, on the other side of the coin, when God was showing Moses the creation over seven (six) days, He said it was good in its formative stages, but He didn't bring the man into being to enjoy it until all the details had been worked out.

Return to “Teaching and Learning Greek”