Google+ Hangouts, Skype, etc.

Textbooks, Graded Readers, Beginner Resources and links, Teaching aids, etc.
Jonathan Robie

Google+ Hangouts, Skype, etc.

Post by Jonathan Robie »

One of the big problems for remote learners is the lack of face-to-face contact. This makes living language approaches particularly difficult.

How much experience do B-Greekers have with Google+ Hangouts, Skype, or other videoconferencing options? Should B-Greek consider setting up hangouts or something similar?

Jonathan
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Paul-Nitz

Re: Google+ Hangouts, Skype, etc.

Post by Paul-Nitz »

I've led several TPRS style discussions of short composed stories via Skype audio. I read a line of a story, and then ask the participants questions about the line. It works fine. We disallow any audible English during the conference and we do not have the text in front of us, but when there is any confusion, we write a little message (English or Greek) in the Instant Messaging feature of Skype. This doesn't seem to interfere with the flow or cause the detrimental kind of "brain-switching" that occurs when alternating frequently between a 1st and 2nd language.

Should this be something on B-Greek? It doesn't seem like a natural fit, to me. But would be the perfect thing on a site like Schole.
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi

Return to “Resources”