Best Intermediate Greek Syntax

Textbooks, Graded Readers, Beginner Resources and links, Teaching aids, etc.
Paul-Nitz

Re: Best Intermediate Greek Syntax

Post by Paul-Nitz »

I've been pleased with Juan Coderch's new book, a true reference grammar.

http://coderch-greek-latin-grammar.weebly.com/

Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Claire Davidson

Post by Claire Davidson »

Hi Jonathan,
thanks for your reply. "Yes" the examples you gave me of diagramming look the same as Daniel Wallace's ones. I will have a look through the tutorial you gave and read the other suggestions too. I am still struggling through his NT Syntax workbook and reference book which is helpful. However I am forever hopeful that one day someone will write a second year course that is user friendly to someone going it alone.
Thankyou again.
Sophronios Budiman

Post by Sophronios Budiman »

how will it be, if someone after completing beggining grammar just proceed to reading the GNT without firstly digging oneself into next step grammar? will it be a disadvantage?
i ask because I really need suggestion
thx
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Sophronios Budiman wrote:how will it be, if someone after completing beggining grammar just proceed to reading the GNT without firstly digging oneself into next step grammar? will it be a disadvantage?
i ask because I really need suggestion
thx
They aren't mutually exclusive, you can do both at the same time (not sctrictly speaking at the same time, of course :) ). But if you could choose only one, choose doing the real thing. That's how people actually learn languages. You wouldn't prepare for further English by only reading "next step grammars", would you?

Many people here are negative towards grammar books. I like grammar, linguistics and metalanguage and really think they help me to understand Greek language. But they have their limits. Reading Greek doesn't have limits and it's what you eventually want to do anyway. It's never a disadvantage.
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Reading grammars at that level will only distract you. If you read grammars you get good at grammars. If uou read Greek... Read the Greek. Use grammars for reference.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I think you should just skip the intermediate stage and spring for the grammar that will last the rest of your walk with Greek: Smyth + Blass-Debrunner-Funk.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Stephen Carlson wrote:I think you should just skip the intermediate stage and spring for the grammar that will last the rest of your walk with Greek: Smyth + Blass-Debrunner-Funk.

I strongly agree.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ

Return to “Resources”