Using Inscriptions for Greek

Textbooks, Graded Readers, Beginner Resources and links, Teaching aids, etc.
RandallButh

Using Inscriptions for Greek

Post by RandallButh »

I just posted a picture on the BLC blog of an inscription from the Galilee.

http://www.biblicallanguagecenter.com/l ... -tiberias/

There is some fun stuff in it, and it is short and fairly straightforward.
Peter Pankonin

Re: Using Inscriptions for Greek

Post by Peter Pankonin »

Hi Randall,

The link is broken, somewhere in the "/l ... -tiberias/" part.

On a related but off topic subject, you wrote:
"...of an inscription from the Galilee."

Perhaps you can answer a question that has been puzzling me since about 2004, when I first heard someone refer to Galilee as "the Galilee." After some folks I know went to Israel, they came back and kept referring to Galilee as "the Galilee." I wondered why they suddenly added the article, when they didn't do that before they went. We typically don't add the article when we speak of Galilee>

Then when I went there in 2006, I heard our tour guide refer to the Galilee region as "the Galilee." I asked him why he added the article but he didn't seem to comprehend my question. I guess in his mind the article needed to be there. Is that a carry over from Greek or Hebrew? Thanks.
--
Πέτρος Πανκώνιν
"There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
JBarach-Sr

Post by JBarach-Sr »

I think the link should be
http://www.biblicallanguagecenter.com/l ... -tiberias/
Cheers,
John Barach
καὶ ἀνέγνωσαν ἐν βιβλίῳ νόμου τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ ἐδίδασκεν Εσδρας καὶ διέστελλεν ἐν ἐπιστήμῃ κυρίου καὶ συνῆκεν ὁ λαὸς ἐν τῇ ἀναγνώσει. (Neh. 8:8)
[url]http://www.GreekDoc.com/lxx/neh/neh08.html[/url]
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Peter Pankonin wrote:On a related but off topic subject, you wrote:
"...of an inscription from the Galilee."

Perhaps you can answer a question that has been puzzling me since about 2004, when I first heard someone refer to Galilee as "the Galilee." After some folks I know went to Israel, they came back and kept referring to Galilee as "the Galilee." I wondered why they suddenly added the article, when they didn't do that before they went. We typically don't add the article when we speak of Galilee>

Then when I went there in 2006, I heard our tour guide refer to the Galilee region as "the Galilee." I asked him why he added the article but he didn't seem to comprehend my question. I guess in his mind the article needed to be there. Is that a carry over from Greek or Hebrew? Thanks.
I read somewhere that "the Galilee" actually referred to "the circle" (borrowed from Hebrew), some "circle" of nations rather than a single place. Supposedly "the Galilee of the nations" (Matt 4:15) included Zebulun and Naphtali. This explains the presence of the article, but is it true?
δαυιδ λιμ

Return to “Resources”