Scrambled Greek Exercises to Measure Reading Fluency

Wes Wood

Scrambled Greek Exercises to Measure Reading Fluency

Post by Wes Wood »

I am confident that most, if not all of you, are aware of the Cambridge study which found:
it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm. Tihs is buseace the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

I was thinking about this today and was wondering if a similar type of phenomenon occurs in Greek. I wouldn't think it would work with the first and last letters of a Greek word as in English, but is there a similar phenomenon? If so, do you think it could be used as a means to gauge reading fluency?

I apologize if this question has been raised before. I did a search and didn't see anything like it, though I may have missed it due to my computer incompetence.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Stephen Hughes

Re: Scrambled Greek Exercises to Measure Reading Fluency

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Try for yourself...
[url=http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A2008.01.0642%3Abook%3D1%3Achapter%3D16%3Asection%3D1]Longus, [i]Daphnis & Chloe[/i] 1.16.1[/url] plus a little bit of section 2 wrote:‘Ἐγώ, πρέθανε, μωζίεν εἰμὶ Δάδνιφος, κἀγὼ μὲν βόλουκος, ὁ δ̓ αἰλόπος: τοτοῦσον κρεττίων ὅσον αἰγῶν βεός: καὶ λόκευς εἰμι ὡς γάλα, καὶ πρυρὸς ὡς θρέος μέλλον ἀμσᾶθαι, καὶ ἔψεθρε μηήτρ, οὐ θοίρην.
αἴπολος - goatherd
βουκόλος - cowherd
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Other”