Please recommend a Reader's GNT

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
alanmacall

Please recommend a Reader's GNT

Post by alanmacall »

I want to buy a Reader's Greek New Testament. There seem to be several available. I would prefer to just buy one. Any particular recommendations?
Alan
A beginner trying to self learn Greek
Jonathan Robie

Re: Please recommend a Reader's GNT

Post by Jonathan Robie »

There was a discussion of this in this thread, with sample pages from several:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3988&p=26745

One of these is available for free as a PDF, which is great if you are the kind of person who likes to print out some pages and scribble all over them, perhaps with colors pencils:

http://www.streitenberger.info/RP2016%2 ... update.pdf

This latter one was discussed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4032&hilit=reader%27s+edition
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

I started with the UBS reader, it was big, beautiful looking, and the entries at the bottom are aligned in columns so its super fast to find the word you are looking up. However it uses what some would say his "high quality" paper, which for me just means "extra thick", so although it is set out well with spacious margins, it is large and unwieldy for day to day use.

Recently I purchased the NIV/Zondervan greek reader, I was put off it because it used a Greek text engineered to align with the NIV translation process, and the footnote/dictionary is slower to scan than the UBS, but, I have discovered that having a greek reader in a small format means I can carry it around and it is getting much more use. So I personally recommend the smaller NIV greek reader for that reason alone.

I would love to know if anyone has documented, or knows where it is documented, what sort of textual decisions have been made in this version that are against the UBS. One of the downsides of the NIV Greek reader, is when there is a variant to UBS, I invariably wonder, 'huh?'' and have to go off and look up the variant in Accordance.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Jacob Rhoden wrote: September 6th, 2018, 5:43 am I would love to know if anyone has documented, or knows where it is documented, what sort of textual decisions have been made in this version that are against the UBS. One of the downsides of the NIV Greek reader, is when there is a variant to UBS, I invariably wonder, 'huh?'' and have to go off and look up the variant in Accordance.
The apparatus to the SBL GNT documents the differences between the NIV Greek text and the NA/UBS text.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Thanks Stephen. I guess my point is that coming across variants from the more standard greek text's becomes a distraction from reading. Usually I begin thinking, "Wait, that doesn't sound right (in the greek), and then I discover its an NIV textual decision, and I am like, really? and I have to go and check in the NIV, and then I realise the NIV is being an odd-one-out on this verse." By the time that is all done I have been distracted from reading for at least 5 minutes. On one hand I enjoy becoming more familiar with these textual questions, but it probably does distract from the goal of a reader in the first place. 😄

Return to “Books”