Post by MAubrey »

That's a good list!
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Books on Greek word order?

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

I was just looking over S. Carlson's bibliography posted in this thread. Going to track down some of those dissertations. I specifically looking for SYNTAX-WORD ORDER and I have discovered that SYNTAX means something different to a philologist. I have 3500 pages of Guy Cooper's Syntax and he never really gets around to a discussion of syntax. It appears that syntax isn't a topic in classical philology. (my notion of syntax is derived from certain ideas extracted from structuralism, generative grammar, functionalism and other isms.)

I am not really looking for a book on word order, rather a book on SYNTAX which looks at word order. I have been working on Sophocles again, wrapping up a project that has been going on for decades, and thought it would be nice to read some FRESH ideas about Syntax/Word Order in Sophocles. Not finding much. Of course, Helma Dik, Greek Tragic Dialogue (have it, read it). But you know IMHO that framework has played itself out. Not expecting any new insights from that framework. Everything else I find is older than that framework. Isn't anybody doing something less the three decades old?

What I already know about:

Title: Sophocles and the Greek Language: Aspects of Diction, Syntax and Pragmatics
Author: I.J.F. de Jong and A. Rijksbaron
ISBN: 9004147527
Publisher: Brill
Year Published: 2005

Title: The Colon Hypothesis: Word Order, Discourse Segmentation and Discourse Coherence in Ancient Greek
Author: Frank Scheppers
ISBN: 9054879440
Publisher: Academic & Scientific Publishers
Year Published: 2011

itle: The syntax of Sophocles
Author: Moorhouse, Alfred Charles
ISBN: 9004065997
Publisher: Brill
Year Published: 1982

RE: mispellings, typos, etc. This editor does NOT work in Safari.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Tom Recht Questions Under Discussion(QUD) framework,

While it doesn't address Sophocles or Tragedy or poetry, it does look like something worth reading. It isn't new
This idea that focus corresponds to an answer to an implicit
question goes back to Halliday [1967:226],
Tom Recht, “Verb-Initial Clauses in Ancient Greek Prose: A Discourse-Pragmatic Study” (Ph.D. diss., UCLA, 2015).
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Thanks for the link!

Return to “Books”