Two studies in the semantics of the verb in classical Greek

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Peter Streitenberger

Two studies in the semantics of the verb in classical Greek

Post by Peter Streitenberger »

Dear Friends,

has anyone read "Two studies in the semantics of the verb in classical Greek" by Sicking/Stork (Brill, 1997) ?

The title sounds very interesting ! I just orderd a copy. Be careful: it's very expensive.

Yours
Peter, Germany
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Two studies in the semantics of the verb in classical Gr

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Peter, perhaps you could supply us with a summary and some comments after you've had a chance to work through it, how helpful it was to you, and so forth.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Peter Streitenberger

Dear Barry,
Peter, perhaps you could supply us with a summary and some comments after you've had a chance to work through it, how helpful it was to you, and so forth.
ok - I'll get my copy this week and will need some time for reading. Then I'll give a summary here. Especially I'm interested in Verbal Aspect and Aktionsarten (the German Plural of "Aktionsart") - hopefully this book provides some new insight in that.

See you soon
Peter, Germany
rensrinze

Post by rensrinze »

hi,
In earlier days i have read this book from 2 greek scholars from the University Leiden. If I recall it correctly, they crossed weapons with the vision of Mckay, Ruigh (A'dam) et alii
It could be more or less outdated in our time and we have a strong succeeder in the work of Ruigh's succeeder in Amsterdam:Albert Rijksbaron>
That book is what you need, I think, greets RensRinzePost.
Peter Streitenberger

The book consists of two parts. Both deal with the semantics of the Greek verb. Part 1 discusses the Aspect Choice (Time reference or discourse function). Part 2 is about the synthetic perfect in classical Greek.

Peter, Germany
www.streitenberger.com

Return to “Books”