Introduction to tense and aspect

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Eeli Kaikkonen

Re: Introduction to tense and aspect

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Jonathan Robie wrote: May 16th, 2017, 10:46 am
Is anyone familiar with The Oxford Book on Tense and Aspect, which Binnick edited? It was published in 2012.
I have it in my bookself at the moment, although it's University library's property. It's eye opening and useful. I have read most of it, some parts skimming, some more thoroughly. Some parts are relevant for our discussions, some are not, some are worth reading very carefully and several times. It shows how discussion in Koine circles have been similar and dissimilar compared to that in linguistic circles. It's not directly applicable to New Testament students but nobody should expect that anyways.

I once thought that it would be nice to write some thoughts about it, chapter by chapter, but I don't feel I have time for it nowadays.
Matthew Longhorn

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Hi all, new member to the forums but I have been popping in and out every so often the past year.
I have a lot of books addressing the issue of Greek aspect but they are pretty much all McMaster staff /alumni or Campbell / Decker etc
I do have Fanning and also the recent Greek Verb Revisited (which I love so thanks to anyone involved!)
I was hoping that you could direct me to non-introductory stuff that explains the tense+aspect view of indicative verbs - I am currently reading Pang's book on aspect and aktionsart. Figured that the question just about fits in with this thread so didn't want to start a new thread.

Unfortunately I am not part of any university so don't have access to a library, but am not averse to breaking my bank account if the book is worth it.
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

The Oxford handbooks tend to be of good quality and that continues to be true for the Tense and Aspect one. It isn't going to give you insight necessarily into Greek itself, but it is a good resource for much current thought in the field with excellent bibliographies for knowing more.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Matthew Longhorn

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Thanks Mike, I will have a look for that

Return to “Books”