Land - Syntax (Essentials of Biblical Greek Grammar): How Sentences Make Meaning

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Land - Syntax (Essentials of Biblical Greek Grammar): How Sentences Make Meaning

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Looks like there is another edition of the Essentials of Biblical Greek Grammar series coming next year
Amazon has it listed for May 2024 but without any details, seemingly getting ahead of Baker. The link below is for their current entry on voice and mood
http://bakerpublishinggroup.com/series/ ... ek-grammar
Eeli Kaikkonen

Re: Land - Syntax (Essentials of Biblical Greek Grammar): How Sentences Make Meaning

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

That's interesting. Voice and Mood by Mathewson seems to cover Rachel Aubrey's article, too. I would be interested in hearing Aubreys' opinion.

Personally I'm suspicious whenever I see "SFL" applied to Koine. It has spread to our area of interest through Porter who tries to make a watertight system out of it. Maybe Mathewson handles it and the competing frameworks (eclectic cognitive-functional) differently?
MAubrey

Re: Land - Syntax (Essentials of Biblical Greek Grammar): How Sentences Make Meaning

Post by MAubrey »

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote: January 17th, 2023, 4:53 am That's interesting. Voice and Mood by Mathewson seems to cover Rachel Aubrey's article, too. I would be interested in hearing Aubreys' opinion.

Personally I'm suspicious whenever I see "SFL" applied to Koine. It has spread to our area of interest through Porter who tries to make a watertight system out of it. Maybe Mathewson handles it and the competing frameworks (eclectic cognitive-functional) differently?
JETS reached out and asked Rachel to review Mathewson. It wasn't a fun review to write. It's published in JETS 65:3 (2022).
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: January 16th, 2023, 4:33 pm Looks like there is another edition of the Essentials of Biblical Greek Grammar series coming next year
Amazon has it listed for May 2024 but without any details, seemingly getting ahead of Baker. The link below is for their current entry on voice and mood
http://bakerpublishinggroup.com/series/ ... ek-grammar
I'm hopeful about this one Chris Land is a smart guy.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Matthew Longhorn

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

MAubrey wrote: January 19th, 2023, 9:19 am JETS reached out and asked Rachel to review Mathewson. It wasn't a fun review to write. It's published in JETS 65:3 (2022).
I definitely found it a confusing read in places. Seriously glad to see Rachel Aubrey's comments about ergatvity. I spent ages with Halliday's functional grammar open trying to work out what was being said in both it and in Mathewson and just got too confused and gave up trying to understand.

Return to “Books”