Fresch - Discourse Markers in Early Koine Greek: Cognitive Functional Analysis and LXX Translation Technique

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Fresch - Discourse Markers in Early Koine Greek: Cognitive Functional Analysis and LXX Translation Technique

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

No release date shown yet. A book that might shake off my recent apathy in reading though!

https://cart.sbl-site.org/books/060447C
Using a cognitive-functional linguistic framework and cross-linguistic research on discourse markers, Christopher J. Fresch investigates the use of five discourse markers in the documentary papyri of the third to first centuries BCE and the Greek translations of the Hebrew Bible. Through this analysis, Fresch proposes linguistically grounded descriptions for how each discourse marker uniquely functions to guide readers in how they process and comprehend the text. Based on these descriptions, he examines the instances of these discourse markers in the Greek translation of the Minor Prophets and how the translator used them to render the Hebrew text. Fresch presents a picture of a translator who selected discourse markers based on their own understanding of the structure, flow, and meaning of the underlying Hebrew text. Their use attests to a translator who was contextually aware and who desired to produce a translation in idiomatic Koine.
MAubrey

Re: Fresch - Discourse Markers in Early Koine Greek: Cognitive Functional Analysis and LXX Translation Technique

Post by MAubrey »

The indexes are currently being completed. I would expect SBL Press wants it out before, well, SBL.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Jonathan Robie

Re: Fresch - Discourse Markers in Early Koine Greek: Cognitive Functional Analysis and LXX Translation Technique

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Do you know which five discourse markers he looks at? Anything else to whet our appetites?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
James Spinti

Post by James Spinti »

Sure:
δέ, εἰ μή and ἐὰν μή, ἀλλά, ἀλλ᾽ ἤ, and μέν.

Great book, based on his dissertation under the recently deceased James Aitken. I had the privilege of copyediting it for SBL Press (so if you find errors, I don't want to hear about!)

James
Proofreading and copyediting of ancient Near Eastern and biblical studies monographs
Matthew Longhorn

This seems to now be available on Amazon, although the SBL site is still showing as forthcoming.
My copy has just been dispatched
S Walch

Post by S Walch »

I ordered my copy on the 4th July from Amazon (UK), with it arriving the day after. SBL was doing a 30% off discount, however shipping to the UK made it redundant, and via Amazon was cheaper :)
Matthew Longhorn

I hate being late
S Walch wrote: July 15th, 2023, 12:35 pm I ordered my copy on the 4th July from Amazon (UK), with it arriving the day after.
Grrr, I hate being late
S Walch

Post by S Walch »

Have finished reading this book now. It truly is a great book, very highly informative about the respective Discourse Markers (DM) as used in the Papyri and LXX. Lots of new terminology to get to grips with if you're not used to this sort of book, but nothing overwhelming in my opinion. Though Fresch doesn't discuss it, his discussion on DMs sort of argues against the popular interlinear paradigm as it pertains to how the LXX books were translated - for them to have used the DMs the way they did, the translators were far more involved in understanding the text and getting it across in good Greek idiom than an interlinear-style translation would have done. That's my opinion anyway. :) Found how Fresch gives an amended way of understanding the function of the DMs δὲ and ἀλλά the most illuminating, which only a read of the book will do enough justice to explain.
James Spinti wrote: May 15th, 2023, 9:46 amGreat book, based on his dissertation under the recently deceased James Aitken. I had the privilege of copyediting it for SBL Press (so if you find errors, I don't want to hear about!)
I know you don't want to hear about errors - but I'm technically typing this out, so you're reading, not hearing. :) I also only found one (and I do look when reading, even in footnotes).

Page 168, bottom paragraph has: "Thus Sicking understands ἀλλά to have core one function, substitution, that interacts with..." core one = one core.

Apart from that, I found nothing else.

Return to “Books”