https://www.eerdmans.com/Products/7927/ ... greek.aspx

A Grammar of New Testament Greek
Rodney A. Whitacre
HARDCOVER; Published: 11/30/2021
ISBN: 978-0-8028-7927-1
Price: $ 49.99
522 Pages
Trim Size, in inches: 6.125 x 9.25

A recent review (https://rezensionen.afet.de/?p=1849) was highly appreciative and positive but included this sentence, which of course grabs an editor's attention:
Leider bietet das Werk eine ganze Reihe von Schreibfehlern, auch fachlich ist besonders in Kapitel 5 manches Detail durcheinandergekommen.
The author, a good friend of mine for many years, died earlier this year and so will not be doing any further refining himself. I wrote to the reviewer, but he had not kept a list of errors:
Concerning my remarks on Rodney Whitacre’s work, I would like to stress the high quality of his work.
All errors I have spotted (and that I remember) were minor. I am afraid that I did not create a list of errors. Sorry!
But to me any error in a grammar is worth finding and fixing. So: I thought this list would be a safe place to post this invitation, in addition to being the most likely place to find people capable of accepting it: If you happen to be using this book and notice typos or places, especially in chapter 5, where things have become durcheinandergekommen, whatever that means, please let me know! We expect this book to endure for many years and would love to correct any glitches that we missed in the editorial process.

Further: if you have the time, the interest, and the qualifications to read this grammar for your own edification during the remainder of 2023, and also to spot errors, but lack a copy of the book, send me a note (jde@eerdmans.com), including "Whitacre" in the subject line. I can't give away a ton of these, but I would gladly give away several in exchange for some help tracking down the rumored Schreibfehlern.
-------------------------------------------
James D. Ernest, PhD
VP, Editor-in-Chief
Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.
Grand Rapids, MI

-------------------------------------------
MAubrey

Re: errata?

Post by MAubrey »

I have a review copy that I plan on working through closely after conference season is over. I will certainly contribute to sharing any errors, typos, etc. that I encounter.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

James Ernest wrote: August 25th, 2023, 2:47 pm RE: Rodney Whitacre, A Grammar of the Greek New Testament
https://www.eerdmans.com/Products/7927/ ... greek.aspx

A Grammar of New Testament Greek
Rodney A. Whitacre
HARDCOVER; Published: 11/30/2021
ISBN: 978-0-8028-7927-1
Price: $ 49.99
522 Pages
Trim Size, in inches: 6.125 x 9.25

A recent review (https://rezensionen.afet.de/?p=1849) was highly appreciative and positive but included this sentence, which of course grabs an editor's attention:
Leider bietet das Werk eine ganze Reihe von Schreibfehlern, auch fachlich ist besonders in Kapitel 5 manches Detail durcheinandergekommen.
- - - snip snip - - -
If you happen to be using this book and notice typos or places, especially in chapter 5, where things have become durcheinandergekommen, whatever that means,
- - - - snip snip
"durcheinandergekommen" = "become discombobulated" (it's a colloquial expression, rather than academic language)
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

I would gladly read through it and look for durcheinander bits and typos. I was a student of Rod Whitaker for a number of years, and have also been a proof reader for Springer Verlag. I don't have a copy of the book, though.
I note that the reviewer mentions "eine ganze Reihe" of typos, and also factual errors. Too bad he did not keep a note of them.

Return to “Books”