Lexicon word lists

Louis L Sorenson

Lexicon word lists

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

I'm wondering if anyone has access to or has created word lists for the various lexicons out there:
(1) BDAG
(2) LSJ
(3) Abbott-Smith
(4) Thayer
(5) Sophocles
(6) Middle LSJ
(7) Lampe
(8) Lust
(9) Muraoka
(10) Danker's shorter lexicon
(11) Louw-Nida

Is the word list for BDAG, Lampe, etc. 'copyrighted'?
Jonathan Robie

Re: Lexicon word lists

Post by Jonathan Robie »

This would be easy to do for Abbott-Smith, LSJ, Middle LSJ, maybe even Sophocles. I don't have a machine readable text for the others.

What do you have in mind?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Louis L Sorenson

Re: Lexicon word lists

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

I'd like to get a database going listing the lemmas in every dictionary, and what lemma alias they may be included in other lexicons (e.g. γίνομαι vs. γίγνομαι). Having a list of BDAG, Lust, Muraoka, and Sophocles will help focus on the greater Koine vocab. We could use LSJ as a base, but would need to include words that are in the 1996 supplement. At least that would be a start and would be helpful to people to know which lexicon(s) to consult if they are looking for any given word. A NT / Koine version of Logeion would be nice (http://logeion.uchicago.edu/index.html# ... F%86%CE%B1), where every dictionary entry of a word is given with examples. Even my Logos version (v4, an old version) does not do this.

There are also many buried lemma's, like diminutives, that often do not have their own entry. Take this example from LSJ:

τροῦλλα, ἡ, ladle or cup, used as a liquid measure, Lat. trulla, Salamine30 (Cyprus), Olymp.Hist.p.462 D., Gloss.; written τροῦλα in Hippiatr.77:—Dim. τρούλλιον, τό, Lat. trulleum, Hero Spir.1.8, Aët.3.177, 16.136; written τρούλιον in BGU814.10 (iii A.D.), Hippiatr.74; cf. τρύλλιον. also τρυλλα BGU2360.3

Liddell, H. G., Scott, R., Jones, H. S., & McKenzie, R. (1996). A Greek-English lexicon (1827). Oxford: Clarendon Press.

Is there a lexicon of the papyri that is independent of the New Testament (Not Moulton-Milligan)? The vocabulary of the Greek Testament illustrated from the papyri and other non-literary sources (1914) is is the public domain and on Archive.org (http://www.archive.org/details/vocabula ... 00mouluoft). That would be another volume to digitize.

When talking about Koine versus Attic, a lot of the difference may be in frequency of usages, and not so much in the raw word list itself, so what is really needed is a Koine scholar who is aware of these sort of changes in usage and meaning over a period of several hundred years. I think, though, that some of the footwork can be done by people in the trenches. Finding frequency in Koine authors is another doable project that could help.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Return to “Lexicons”