πεντά!δ!λαδος & χθωρό!δ!λαψον in paper LSJ

Stephen Hughes

πεντά!δ!λαδος & χθωρό!δ!λαψον in paper LSJ

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Obviously πεντάδλαδος "five-branched" is a misprint for πεντάκλαδος. The consonant combination δλ is not Greek, but is it a typo in χθωρόδλαψον "a Syrian type of food" or a valid combination in the loan word?

Could somebody access a paper copy of LSJ to help me check that please?

How about πολυκλήϊδτος?

BTW: I find many typos and weird arrangements at he juncture between forms and the first meaning in Perseus LSJ. Do others also find that?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Stephen Hughes

Re: πεντά!δ!λαδος & χθωρό!δ!λαψον in paper LSJ

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Okay,I think I've got πολυκλήϊδτος sorted out from πολυκλήϊς, ϊ̄δος from Cunliffe's Lexicon.

The tau probably originated as the macron over or after the iota.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Stephen Hughes wrote:Obviously πεντάδλαδος "five-branched" is a misprint for πεντάκλαδος. The consonant combination δλ is not Greek, but is it a typo in χθωρόδλαψον "a Syrian type of food" or a valid combination in the loan word?

Could somebody access a paper copy of LSJ to help me check that please?

How about πολυκλήϊδτος?

BTW: I find many typos and weird arrangements at he juncture between forms and the first meaning in Perseus LSJ. Do others also find that?
For what it's worth, none of the typos you identified are found in the TLG LSJ: http://stephanus.tlg.uci.edu/lsj/lsj.ht ... rom-search

I've long prefered the TLG LSJ over the Perseus LSJ.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

I have the Logos edition which was typed independently of Perseus. They have χθωρόδλαψον and it does seem to also appear in the cited text as well:

καὶ ὁ Κύνουλκος ἔφη· ἐμπίπλασο, Οὐλπιανέ, χθωροδλαψου πατρίου, ὃς παρʼ οὐδενὶ τῶν παλαιῶν μὰ τὴν Δήμητρα γέγραπται πλὴν ειʼ μὴ ἄρα παρὰ τοῖς τὰ Φοινικικὰ συγγεγραφόσι Σαγχουνιάθωνι καὶ Μώχῳ, τοῖς σοῖς πολίταις.

There are also three instances of δλ in the LXX, but they're all transliterations of Hebrew proper nouns. Euclid uses it too, but that's in mathematical equations.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

MAubrey wrote:I have the Logos edition which was typed independently of Perseus. They have χθωρόδλαψον and it does seem to also appear in the cited text as well:

καὶ ὁ Κύνουλκος ἔφη· ἐμπίπλασο, Οὐλπιανέ, χθωροδλαψου πατρίου, ὃς παρʼ οὐδενὶ τῶν παλαιῶν μὰ τὴν Δήμητρα γέγραπται πλὴν ειʼ μὴ ἄρα παρὰ τοῖς τὰ Φοινικικὰ συγγεγραφόσι Σαγχουνιάθωνι καὶ Μώχῳ, τοῖς σοῖς πολίταις.

There are also three instances of δλ in the LXX, but they're all transliterations of Hebrew proper nouns.
There are a number of 2-letter combinations that are "not Greek", and there are a larger number of three letter combinations that are not Greek either. But these loan words change things a little. Eg. βθ, δβ, ωββ (nor some other double consonants following ω), a word never begins with a double stop consonant.
MAubrey wrote:Euclid uses it too, but that's in mathematical equations.
4,030 or something else?
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Stephen Hughes wrote:4,030 or something else?
Maybe some of them. Most of them look place markers for real numbers in algebraic geometry equations .
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

But these loan words change things a little. Eg. βθ, δβ, ωββ (nor some other double consonants following ω), a word never begins with a double stop consonant.
that would have been a good thing, then the Greeks wouldn't have to worry about βδεῖν in public.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

RandallButh wrote:
But these loan words change things a little. Eg. βθ, δβ, ωββ (nor some other double consonants following ω), a word never begins with a double stop consonant.
that would have been a good thing, then the Greeks wouldn't have to worry about βδεῖν in public.
Not to mention πτύειν.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Hughes

Don't fart or spit, but you can dive (off <a cliff>)

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Stephen Carlson wrote:
RandallButh wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote:a word never begins with a double stop consonant.
Not to mention πτύειν.
But they could still ἐκκολυμβῶν "dive off something" and ἐκολύμβων "plunge into the water". [or swim ashore & swim in the Koine period]

(Perhaps of he sense of identicality that goes with doubling got lost in the ambiguity of language.)

Return to “Lexicons”