Does anyone use paper concordances anymore?

Jonathan Robie

Does anyone use paper concordances anymore?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Are paper concordances still useful? If so, why?

I just bought a copy of Hatch & Redpath's Concordance to the Septuagint by mistake ... and I'm wondering what to do with it.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Carlson

Re: Does anyone use paper concordances anymore?

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I carry Schmöller's Handkonkordanz with me for use when I'm not with a computer. Hatch and Redpath is good for its analysis of the Hebrew underlying the Greek term; in other words, it's helpful for studying translation technique.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

I used Handkonkordanz Zum Grechischen A. Schmoller this morning.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Because I'm away from home, I haven't for a long time, but I trust something on paper more than any digital (re)production (except scanning).
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Jonathan Robie wrote:Are paper concordances still useful? If so, why?

I just bought a copy of Hatch & Redpath's Concordance to the Septuagint by mistake ... and I'm wondering what to do with it.
All the time - just about every day. But then I'm ancient :-)
You could give your copy of Hatch and Redpath to your local Seminary library - or to "Operation Pass-Along" for seminarians and clergy in need.
http://www.anglicandigest.org/operation-pass-along/
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

I have HatchRedpath within arm's reach of my desk chair.
But I use it much less than I used to. Still, I'm glad it's there and would consider it a good purchase.
James Spinti

Post by James Spinti »

I have both Hatch & Redpath and Moulton & Geden (I.H. Marshall revision). While I don't use them as much as I used to, they are very handy to get a bigger view at one time. The problem with electronic search results is that your screen isn't large enough to get the full perspective.

Where electronic really shines is looking for certain inflected forms...that can be a real drag in paper ones. For example, I recently was looking for elided forms of δέ. With Accordance/Logos, it was simple. Imagine trying to do that with a paper concordance! Right!

[by the way, the preliminary results are here: http://anebooks.blogspot.com/2015/03/st ... g-way.html. When I get time, I'm going to pursue the LXX and other Koine texts. The problem is that the nonbiblical text editions don't always mark elision of δέ and sometimes play fast and loose with it themselves : ( ]

James
Proofreading and copyediting of ancient Near Eastern and biblical studies monographs

Return to “Lexicons”