New monolingual Ancient Greek dictionary now available.

RandallButh

Re: New monolingual Ancient Greek dictionary now available.

Post by RandallButh »

You may be interested in knowing that we have planned a review and discussion of the dictionary in the Applied Linguistics session at ETS (it will be in Atlanta, three days before SBL).

Here is the session:

SESSION INFORMATION
11/18/2015
8:30 AM-11:40 AM
Hilton — 211
Applied Linguistics and Biblical Languages
Theme: Directions in Pedagogy beyond the First Year for Greek and Hebrew

Moderator:
Helene Dallaire, Denver Seminary

8:30 AM—9:10 AM
Brian Schultz
Fresno Pacific University
Biblical Hebrew and Communicative Language Teaching: the Intermediate Challenge

9:20 AM—10:00 AM
Randall Buth
Biblical Language Center, Israel
A Greek-Greek lexicon, its applications and implications for NT pedagogy and research: E. Caruso, Monolingual Dictionary of Ancient Greek

10:10 AM—10:50 AM
Lee Fields
Mid-Atlantic Christian University
The Application of Communicative Language Learning to Commentaries, Texts, and Reading

11:00 AM—11:40 AM
Panel Discussion
Directions in Pedagogy beyond the First Year for Greek and Hebrew

Brian Schultz
Fresno Pacific University

Randall Buth
Biblical Language Center, Israel

Lee Fields
Mid-Atlantic Christian University

Gerald Peterman
Moody Bible Institute
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

My copy arrived today from Anglo American Books in Rome, almost exactly 1 month after I ordered it. I phoned to check on shipping about a week ago and spoke with a very courteous and helpful person who updated me on when to expect my book.

The book is exceptionally well bound with high quality sewn binding and a very nice hard cover. The print is very comfortable. There is a lot of white space.

I really like this book. I sat down to have my first leaf through and had a hard time putting it down. I would not use it for normal lexicon duty because so far most of the words are familiar to me, and, in any case, BDAG would be hard to match for that purpose. (To produce a Greek BDAG would be a massive project.) But to sit and ponder these definitions in Greek is quite nice, and a great learning experience for me because my current focus is how to express ideas and describe things in Koine Greek, and that is where I find this publication so promising. For example:
Monolingual Dictionary of Ancient Greek wrote:ἐλέφας, αντος, ὁ = μέιστον τετράποδον δύο μεγίστους ὀδοντες ἔχον
Simple - but quite nice if you are browsing and thinking about how to describe that beastie in Koine. Definitions range from a line to half a page in length, and include many biblical references. I think this book will be a treasure - the kind of book one can browse through now and then just for the joy of it.
γράφω μαθεῖν
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Thomas Dolhanty wrote:
Monolingual Dictionary of Ancient Greek wrote:ἐλέφας, αντος, ὁ = μέιστον τετράποδον δύο μεγίστους ὀδοντες ἔχον
Sic? I might have expected μέγιστον τετράποδον δύο μεγίστους ὀδόντας ἔχον.
I was thrown off first by the nominative ὀδόντες, but then I took a second look at μέιστον and decided to check LSJ, where I was a bit surprised to find:
LSJ wrote:μεῖστος, η, ον, Sup. of μείων,

Aleast, Hsch., EM676.14, Eust.134.45, Sch.Ar.Pl.627: neut. as Adv., μεῖστον at least, Berl.Sitzb.1927.8 (Locr., V B.C.). (From μέy-ιστος.)
I don't think I've ever seen this superlative form, although I've quite often seen forms of the comparative μείων. Here, however, I think we have a simple typo.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Thomas should check if the typos are in the dictionary or just on his part in retyping the entry.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

We could also practice text criticism while we wait.

I'm going to guess "triple typo" in a forum post rather than a triple proofreading slip.
Even so, I can't rule out the latter, since I've done them myself, especially with the power of mis-'pasting' in the computer age.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Based on my own experience of making typos when quoting without the benefit of cut and paste, I doubt it's the book.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Thomas Dolhanty

Stephen Carlson wrote:Thomas should check if the typos are in the dictionary or just on his part in retyping the entry.
TYPO!! Sincere apologies to Emiliano. The line should read:
Monolingual Dictionary of Ancient Greek wrote: wrote:ἐλέφας, αντος, ὁ = μέγιστον τετράποδον δύο μεγίστους ὀδόντες ἔχον
Thanks Carl κτλ. On this kind of reference, it is scary for this old man not to be able to cut and paste. The atrophy of old skills, whether by the Age or by the age!

One last 'Edit' to affirm that ὀδόντες is as it appears in the lexicon.
γράφω μαθεῖν
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Thomas Dolhanty wrote:Thanks Carl κτλ. On this kind of reference, it is scary for this old man not to be able to cut and paste. The atrophy of old skills, whether by the Age or by the age!

Speaking for myself (and letting κτλ. speak for themselves), I will only chime in with Stephen and Randall to note that it's nigh unto impossible for copyists not to miscopy something, whether they're doing it by hand or by keyboard. One can as easily be embarrassed by peccadilloes such as homonyms when composing. Earlier this week I was taken aback to discover that I had written "one" when I meant to write "won". I am inclined to think that it is virtually impossible to proofread one's own work successfully. Even with email and posts to this board, I try to read back over what I've typed at least twice before dispatching, but have often found the embarrassing slip either as soon as I've hit "submit" -- or considerably later. So: you may slap yourself on the forehead once for slipping up, but don't overdo it!
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Thomas Dolhanty wrote:TYPO!! Sincere apologies to Emiliano. The line should read:
Monolingual Dictionary of Ancient Greek wrote: wrote:ἐλέφας, αντος, ὁ = μέγιστον τετράποδον δύο μεγίστους ὀδόντες ἔχον
Thanks Carl κτλ. On this kind of reference, it is scary for this old man not to be able to cut and paste. The atrophy of old skills, whether by the Age or by the age!

I think I've just confirmed that I would much rather have this in machine readable form ;->

Here is Rouse's definition of the same word:
ἐλέφας· ἆρ' οὐκ οἶσθα ὅ τι εἰσὶν οἱ ἐλέφαντες, φεῦ τῆς ἀμαθίας.
The Monolingual Dictionary of Ancient Greek is clearly doing more than just reusing Rouse.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Thomas Dolhanty

cwconrad wrote: So: you may slap yourself on the forehead once for slipping up, but don't overdo it!
Thanks Carl. οἱ <<sans>> μέσον τῶν ὀδόντων καὶ τῶν πάντων φοβούμενοι ἐισιν.
Jonathan Robie wrote:I think I've just confirmed that I would much rather have this in machine readable form ;->
Ὁμοίως, ‘Yond machines have a lean and hungry look!’
γράφω μαθεῖν

Return to “Lexicons”