Beale - Interpretative Lexicon of the Greek New Testament

Stephen Hughes

Beale - Interpretative Lexicon of the Greek New Testament

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Has anyone used or seen reviews on Beale, G.K. et al. An Interpretative Lexicon of the Greek New Testament. Zondervan, 2014? Was it a worthwhile purchase you would recommend?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Louis L Sorenson

Re: Beale - Interpretative Lexicon of the Greek New Testame

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

One of the authors, William Ross, has a page with some links. https://williamaross.wordpress.com/an-i ... ent-greek/
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Why not use amazon.com's Look inside feature and just make your own judgement?

My opinion: doesn't look very helpful.
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Louis L Sorenson wrote:William Ross, has a page with some links.
The work seems to cross-reference to a number of other works, some of which I own, but don't have access to, and others that I've heard about for the first time.

I wonder whether the phrase "annoying little words" suggests that there is a fair proportion of people reading the New Testament who ignore, overlook or simply don't know what to do with the smaller words?
Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:Why not use amazon.com's Look inside feature and just make your own judgement?
Looking at that and the pages linked to by Louis; I think perhaps the student of Greek (including experienced readers), who has been told to memorise glosses and who has memorised multiple glosses for the little words, but has had insufficient training and/or experience to know what to do with them would be helped in the transition to using those words as constituents of Greek syntax and paragraph structure as a feature of Greek - or perhaps it would prop up the non-understanding of Greek as Greek, by explaining what comes from a knowledge of Greek, without necessarily grappling with the Greek. That would depend on the mind-set of the student. Perhaps it could serve a similar need within a curriculum (a student's guided path to master of a subject) to Wallace's GGBB, by helping students who have been given a simple introduction to Greek go beyond what they have been led to believe. In this case, that glosses are adequate, rather than learning words as functional elements, or that Greek grammar is manageable and simple, as what Wallace seems to be wanting to do.

My broader context of my opinion is that the need for correctives to the initial steps of the learning process - to go beyond glossing (in this case), to go beyond simplistic grammatical categories (in the case of Wallace), to see verbal and nominal structures as patterns rather than just being made up of individual parts wherein the whole is greater than the sum of the parts (not written by anyone yet), or a work to help students identify the tone, register or style of a word, phrase or passage (also unyet written) - seems to call for a change in the initial approaches.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

There is a need for what the book promises but doesn't deliver.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Eeli Kaikkonen

Beale - an Interpretive Lexicon of New Testament Greek

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Old thread, old (relatively) book, old review, but Kris Lyle's review is pretty good.

Edit: the book name/thread subject corrected.

Return to “Lexicons”