Smyth "A Greek Grammar"

Shirley Rollinson

Re: Smyth "A Greek Grammar"

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Go to Amazon.com and you can get Smyth's grammar for about $50.
I did, and so did our College Library.

And if shopping at Amazon, go through "Good Search", http://www.goodsearch.com and choose a charity for donations.
Then use the GoodSearch main page section "GoodShop" to go to Amazon, and Amazon is supposed to give a small percentage of what you spend to the charity of your choice.
Christina Agard

Post by Christina Agard »

I see that Amazon is selling secondhand hardback copies of the January 1956 edition of Smyth's "A Greek Grammar" for around $50.00. I usually see it in secondhand bookshops in academic centres around the UK for anything from £2-£25 - most often at the lower end of the scale. Five pounds ($7.00 dollars) is typical. Perhaps some penniless student could make themselves a few dollars/ pounds by buying and selling in-demand academic works like this and opening an Amazon Marketplace account.

Whilst on this subject, I'm surprised to see that no scammer has bothered to upload the earlier version as a Kindle eBook. Maybe my faith in the human race can be resurrected, after all. Though my husband has just pointed out that internet scammers are hardly likely to use "A Greek Grammar" as their path to untold riches!
Justin Cofer

Post by Justin Cofer »

George F Somsel wrote:
cwconrad wrote:[

I was disappointed that Logos didn't include Smyth's Grammar in the free distribution of the Perseus Library (some other Greek and Latin grammars were included). I think that the PDF file of Smyth's grammar is unwieldy. The easiest format to use is the Perseus at UChicago; with table of contents sidebar that one can easily scroll down to find the relevant link and then click on it to open up the page(s) needed: (http://artflx.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/phil ... nographs.9). The only thing more that I could add would be a hyper-linked index to Smyth's grammar.

As for Logos software's "Biblical Languages Reference" package, I personally think it involves acquisition of space-consuming materials that one is never likely to use enough to justify the cost of acquisition.I'd love to have the Perseus/Philologic Smyth on my own computer, but with a good constant internet connection, online access is always available.
From time to time Logos unbundles the constituents of some of the collections. It is possible that they will do so at some time after the release of this collection. Should I happen to become aware that this occurs, I will report such.
Its been unbundled, and its regular price is $39.

http://www.logos.com/product/27093/a-gr ... r-colleges
Justin Cofer

Post by Justin Cofer »

The advantage of the Logos edition is that it is hyperlinked to other resources such as its Lexham Syntactic Greek New Testament Glossary. :geek:
smyth.jpg
smyth.jpg (152.29 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

I personally found the Logos Smyth a godsend. The Chicago Perseus Philologic edition with the full contents in a side panel was nice, but having the full set of indices in Smyth -- all neatly hyperlinked -- has made it possible for me to dispense with my old hard copy that I purchased in grad school and that's coming apart from use.

This has been quite a thread over the months. Smyth was one of those giants like Gildersleeve and Robertson. It takes a giant like Smyth (or Fraenkel or Headlam or Murray) to tackle the task of editing Aeschylus, but the Greek Grammar remains his principal monument, I guess. I felt it was an honor as a grad student to work in the Smyth Classical Library in Widener while I was a grad student at Harvard with so many major and minor reference works and texts ready to hand.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)

Return to “Grammars”