Conjunctions

MAubrey

Re: Conjunctions

Post by MAubrey »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: Runge and Levinsohn are books on text linguistics. They cover conjunctions but from a framework that many NT greek people find strange and hard to digest.
Levinsohn isn't easy for NT people. That's true. But I'm at a complete loss as to how you could say that about Runge's book. From seasoned NT scholars to 2nd year Greek exegesis students I have only heard praised for its accessibility and clarity.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Stephanie Black's dissertation on conjunctions in Matthew impressed me. I recommend that.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Ronaldo Ghenov

Post by Ronaldo Ghenov »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:They cover conjunctions but from a framework that many NT greek people find strange and hard to digest. I've been reading Levinsohn for 15 years and he now makes sense.
Stirling, Could you elaborate on what you mean by "strange"?
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Ronaldo Ghenov wrote:
Stirling Bartholomew wrote:They cover conjunctions but from a framework that many NT greek people find strange and hard to digest. I've been reading Levinsohn for 15 years and he now makes sense.
Stirling, Could you elaborate on what you mean by "strange"?
I'm not Stirling, but...

They use a different set of terminology than traditional Greek grammar. That's all. As I said above, Runge's book is extremely accessible for NT Greek students and scholars and goes to great lengths to make everything quite understandable. And that's because he's writing to that particular audience. He's trying to bridge the gap. Levinsohn's stuff is more difficult because he's writing primarily to an audience of linguists and translators in missions organizations like Wycliffe.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com

Return to “Grammars”