Porter - Idioms of the Greek NT

Paul-Nitz

Porter - Idioms of the Greek NT

Post by Paul-Nitz »

This book is an intermediate grammar, not a book about "idioms."

It was discussed on B-Greek in 2000. It got mixed reviews. Has it improved with age?

Logos is just now selling it for $60.
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
MAubrey

Re: Porter - Idioms of the Greek NT

Post by MAubrey »

Nope.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

That is to say, the reasons for the mixed reviews haven't changed. Porter's ideas about tense are still viewed as problematic by many. If anything, I think the consensus against Porter's tenseless proposals has only grown.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

MAubrey wrote:That is to say, the reasons for the mixed reviews haven't changed. Porter's ideas about tense are still viewed as problematic by many. If anything, I think the consensus against Porter's tenseless proposals has only grown.
Porter's 2nd Ed 1992 Idioms is a traditional grammar with some not-too-popular aberrations in the treatment of verb tense/aspect. The main disappointment for the linguistically inclined is the traditional approach. Why would a linguist treat the language in same manner as it has been treated for hundreds of years? I would be willing to overlook the aberrations in the treatment of verb tense/aspect if the grammar had been informed in other areas by linguistics from 1950-1990.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:
MAubrey wrote:That is to say, the reasons for the mixed reviews haven't changed. Porter's ideas about tense are still viewed as problematic by many. If anything, I think the consensus against Porter's tenseless proposals has only grown.
Porter's 2nd Ed 1992 Idioms is a traditional grammar with some not-too-popular aberrations in the treatment of verb tense/aspect. The main disappointment for the linguistically inclined is the traditional approach. Why would a linguist treat the language in same manner as it has been treated for hundreds of years? I would be willing to overlook the aberrations in the treatment of verb tense/aspect if the grammar had been informed in other areas by linguistics from 1950-1990.
Well, Porter isn't a linguist. Why should we expect that a non-linguist would treat the language any differently?
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Ironically enough, I didn't find this book to be clearest exposition of Porter's verbal aspect theory. Most of this book's section about aspect was showing how the "tenses" can refer to various times.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Stephen Carlson wrote:Ironically enough, I didn't find this book to be clearest exposition of Porter's verbal aspect theory. Most of this book's section about aspect was showing how the "tenses" can refer to various times.
True...though I'm not sure there is a "clearest exposition."
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com

Return to “Grammars”