Books on Greek Idioms

Books on Greek Idioms

Postby jcooper93 » June 7th, 2011, 1:12 pm

I am not sure if this is the exact category to put this question under but....

what are some good books that look specifically at idioms in Greek?
jcooper93
 
Posts: 2
Joined: May 30th, 2011, 10:58 pm

Re: Books on Greek Idioms

Postby Charlie Johnson » June 30th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Theory of Advanced Greek Prose Composition by John Donovan, Volume 1, includes a digest of Greek idioms. I believe it's available online. I have a PDF file of it.
Charlie Johnson
 
Posts: 32
Joined: June 1st, 2011, 6:44 am

Re: Books on Greek Idioms

Postby MAubrey » June 30th, 2011, 5:05 pm

jcooper93 wrote:I am not sure if this is the exact category to put this question under but....

what are some good books that look specifically at idioms in Greek?


When you say "idioms" are you thinking figures of speech? Because there a number of books like Moule's An Idiom book of the Greek New Testament, which is more of a brief grammar that only covers a select number of grammatical topics.

If you're looking more for figures of speech like idioms, Louw & Nida's lexicon regularly provides "lexical" entries for phrases that have specific meanings that cannot be derives directly from the sum of their parts.
Mike Aubrey
Canada Institute of Linguistics & Trinity Western University Graduate School
MAubrey
 
Posts: 600
Joined: May 6th, 2011, 8:52 pm
Location: British Columbia

Re: Books on Greek Idioms

Postby Jason Hare » June 30th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Charlie Johnson wrote:Theory of Advanced Greek Prose Composition by John Donovan, Volume 1, includes a digest of Greek idioms. I believe it's available online. I have a PDF file of it.


For the interested reader: http://www.archive.org/details/theoryof ... 11donouoft
Jason A. Hare
Rehovot, Israel
Jason Hare
 
Posts: 378
Joined: June 2nd, 2011, 5:28 pm
Location: Rehovot, Israel

Re: Books on Greek Idioms

Postby Devenios Doulenios » July 6th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Anybody here familiar with Stanley Porter's book on Greek idioms? Do you think it would be worth buying? I've heard of it but haven't seen it, and would like to have some idea of its value.

Having been a student and teacher of modern languages (Spanish and French as teacher, German as student), I'd like to get a work on Greek idioms that groups them either by frequency, topically, or alphabetically rather than by grammatical category as Moule's work does (which I have, and consider useful despite that limitation). Idiom books for French, Spanish, and German I have group them either by frequency, topically, or alphabetically. Along the same line, if anybody knows of existing materials for learning Biblical Hebrew idioms, I'd be grateful for information on that, too. :)

Devenios Doulenios
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος
"τὴν ζωὴν καὶ τὸν θάνατον δέδωκα πρὸ προσώπου ὑμῶν τὴν εὐλογίαν καὶ τὴν κατάραν ἔκλεξαι τὴν ζωήν ἵνα ζῇς σὺ καὶ τὸ σπέρμα σου"-Dt. 30:19

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
Devenios Doulenios
 
Posts: 69
Joined: May 31st, 2011, 5:11 pm
Location: Carlisle, Arkansas, USA

Re: Books on Greek Idioms

Postby MAubrey » July 6th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Devenios Doulenios wrote:Anybody here familiar with Stanley Porter's book on Greek idioms? Do you think it would be worth buying? I've heard of it but haven't seen it, and would like to have some idea of its value.

Having been a student and teacher of modern languages (Spanish and French as teacher, German as student), I'd like to get a work on Greek idioms that groups them either by frequency, topically, or alphabetically rather than by grammatical category as Moule's work does (which I have, and consider useful despite that limitation). Idiom books for French, Spanish, and German I have group them either by frequency, topically, or alphabetically. Along the same line, if anybody knows of existing materials for learning Biblical Hebrew idioms, I'd be grateful for information on that, too. :)


Porter's book is an intermediate grammar, so it's not an "idiom book." It probably best viewed as a competitor with Wallce's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics, though they approach grammar very differently. Porter's book is even less of an idiom book than Moule's.

There is no idiom of the kind that you're looking for--at least not that I'm aware of (and I like to think that I'm generally quite bibliographically aware...). Again, I would recommend Louw & Nida's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament Based on Semantic Domains. They provide extensive lexical entries from idiomatic constructions and figures of speech. That's the closest you're going to get, as far as I know.
Mike Aubrey
Canada Institute of Linguistics & Trinity Western University Graduate School
MAubrey
 
Posts: 600
Joined: May 6th, 2011, 8:52 pm
Location: British Columbia


Return to Grammars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest