Greek according to Luke

Leonard Isaksson

Re: Greek according to Luke

Post by Leonard Isaksson »

I spoke with a fellow who was a student at Asbury University when Michael Harstad, the author of this Greek grammar, "Greek according to Luke", taught there. They used this book and the little LIddell. It sounds like it is more of an inductive study, as verses from Luke are used, and notes given as the texts are worked on. I think the Greek introduction by La Sor, using Acts, proceeds this way, but since I haven't used these books, there is little that I can say. It sounds like there are no manufactured sentences. Later, longer passages or chapters are read straight through. The author, Harstad, was a student of palaeography and textual criticism for his graduate work, doing work on Xenophon. This is what I have gleaned. I reckon because I like the Gospel of Luke this got my curiosity up to now and then see what I could find out.
dougknighton

Post by dougknighton »

LaSor's material (Handbook of New Testament Greek: An Inductive Approach Based on the Greek Text of Acts -- in 2 volumes) was published by Eerdmans in 1973. Copies are still available at various book-reseller sites. I did my first "year" of Greek in a class that worked through this text four hours a day, five days a week for ten weeks (1974). I found it to be a very user-friendly approach to learning the language. Used his similar Hebrew language texts as well.
Leonard Isaksson

Post by Leonard Isaksson »

It is interesting that Mr. LaSor chose the book of Acts. Thanks for the note about how you found that book to be. You had a good thorough course of introduction to Greek via LaSor, didn't you?

I briefly looked at it(LaSor) years ago at seminary, it struck me how that he must have been a Bible translator. I don't know whether he was, I just got that notion. I didn't take much time at all to look at it.

I was going to use Clyde Pharr's book on Homeric Greek to review Greek, and I still want to use that. However, since my first love is the Scriptures, I am thinking to review using Powers, or perhaps Eric Jay's book, and then after review, do as Mr. Powers recommends, use his book with either Mark or John, and also refer to "Biblical Greek" by Maximilian Zerwick. I was sure that Powers had passages in Zerwick's book that he referred you to as he went through the lessons in the intermediate course in his "Learn to read the Greek New Testament", but I wrote to him and asked, and he said he didn't. So somehow I got that idea.

Return to “Grammars”