Muraoka, Syntax of the Septuagint

James Spinti

Muraoka, Syntax of the Septuagint

Post by James Spinti »

Has anybody seen this yet:
A Syntax of Septuagint Greek
http://www.peeters-leuven.be/boekoverz.asp?nr=10085?
Here's the description from the web site:
This is the first ever comprehensive analysis of the morphosyntax and syntax of Septuagint Greek. The work is based on the most up-to-date editions of the Septuagint. The so-called Antiochene version of Samuel, Kings, and Chronicles as well as Judges has been studied. Though this is a synchronic grammar, and though not systematic, comparison with Classical Greek, the Greek of contemporary literature of the Hellenistic-Roman period, papyri and epigraphical data, and New Testament Greek has often been undertaken. Even when analysing translated documents of the Septuagint, the perspective is basically that of its readers. However, attempts were made to determine in what ways and to what extent the structure of the Semitic source languages may have influenced the selection of this or that particular construction by translators. At many places it is demonstrated and illustrated how an analysis of the morphosyntax and syntax can illuminate our general interpretation of the Septuagint text.

At almost 1000 pages, it must cover a lot of ground! But is it any good? And why is it called a syntax when the first 425 pages are a traditional grammar? (see ToC at above link)

Worldcat (https://www.worldcat.org/title/morphosy ... ef_results) shows no libraries as having it. But I see that Ian Stevens (as usual) is distributing it in the US:
https://www.isdistribution.com/BookDeta ... ?aId=67911

Wondering minds want to know...
James
Proofreading and copyediting of ancient Near Eastern and biblical studies monographs
MAubrey

Re: Muraoka, Syntax of the Septuagint

Post by MAubrey »

It was supposed to be released last month, but it was delayed. I have it on preorder.

Also, if I remember correctly, the original title was A Morphosynax and Syntax of the Septuagint.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Thanks for point toward Peeter's website! They didn't have the TOC up last time I checked it.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
James Spinti

Post by James Spinti »

Thanks! I hope you post a review on your blog : )

James
Proofreading and copyediting of ancient Near Eastern and biblical studies monographs
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

That would be a monumental task, but I'll certainly be writing something. Probably a number of somethings.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

MAubrey wrote:That would be a monumental task, but I'll certainly be writing something. Probably a number of somethings.
I'd be looking forward to that too.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Grammars”