Concordance of non-biblical Greek

WA McCormick

Concordance of non-biblical Greek

Post by WA McCormick »

Is there any concordance for Greek words in Plato, Homer and other ancient greek texts? At the moment I am interested in the term akrogwniaios. There are various translatiteration letter choices, so my omega may be wrong per this forum. I'm new here.

WA
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Concordance of non-biblical Greek

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

The short answer is of course there are concordances to all major ancient Greek authors. You can find a lot of them available for free if you simply google it. Another option is to use is the word searching function available at the Perseus website. While Perseus does not contain all authors, you should get more than enough for your study. Of course, there is helpful info in the lexical resources:

ἀκρογωνιαῖος, α, ον (purely biblical; TestSol) lying at the extreme corner ἀ. λίθος cornerstone (this meaning is defended by JArmitage Robinson, Eph; ESelwyn, 1 Pt; TAbbott, ICC Eph-Col; JPfammater, Die Kirche als Bau: Analecta Gregoriana 110, ’60, 140–51; KSchäfer, Lapis summus angulari: Festschr. HLützeler ’62, 9–29; ibid. Zur Deutung von ἀ. Eph 2:20: Festschr. JSchmid ’63, 218–24) or capstone (TestSol 22:7–23:4; s. κεφαλή 2b; rejected by RMcKelvey who defends cornerstone, NTS 8, ’61/62, 352–59), only fig., of Christ Eph 2:20; w. ref. to the preciousness of the material λίθον ἐκλεκτὸν ἀ. ἔντιμον 1 Pt 2:6 (s. comm.); B 6:2 (both Is 28:16); s. lit. on κεφαλή 2b.—Cp. pap and ins cited DGE s.v. γωνιαῖος. KSchelkle, RAC I, 233f. EDNT. M-M. TW.

Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., Bauer, W., & Gingrich, F. W. (2000). A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature (3rd ed., pp. 39–40). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

ἀκρογωνιαῖος, α, ον, at the extreme angle, ἀ. λίθος corner foundation-stone, LXXIs.28.16, Ep.Eph.2.20.

Liddell, H. G., Scott, R., Jones, H. S., & McKenzie, R. (1996). A Greek-English lexicon (p. 56). Oxford: Clarendon Press.

The fact that LSJ does not mention any author other than the LXX or the NT probably means that you won't find the word in Homer or Plato.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
WA McCormick

Re: Concordance of non-biblical Greek

Post by WA McCormick »

Thanks for the reply.

WA

Return to “Other”