Gonis - The Rendel Harris Papyri Volume III (£100)

Matthew Longhorn

Gonis - The Rendel Harris Papyri Volume III (£100)

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Coming May 2024

https://www.degruyter.com/document/isbn ... 55955/html
The volume continues the publication of The Rendel Harris Papyri (vol. I, 1936; vol. II, 1985), offering editions, with translations and interpretations, of eighty-one Greek papyri. Three are literary or subliterary, the others documentary. With a few exceptions, the texts included are from Oxyrhynchus. They range in date from the early fi rst to the late seventh/early eighth century, but the majority come from late antiquity, with about twenty of them dating from the fifth century.
S Walch

Re: Gonis - The Rendel Harris Papyri Volume III (£100)

Post by S Walch »

Now this is definitely something I'm interested in!

£100 ain't too bad, either.

Ta for the notification, Matthew!
Matthew Longhorn

S Walch wrote: January 31st, 2024, 2:06 pm Ta for the notification, Matthew!
Glad to be of assistance.
Matthew Longhorn

S Walch wrote: January 31st, 2024, 2:06 pm Now this is definitely something I'm interested in!

just curious, what is your interest in this fairly niche book? Always interesting to find out why people are into the things they are
S Walch

Post by S Walch »

My interest is practically anything to do with ancient papyri (especially those yet to be published, of which there's an awful lot) and what the contents can tell us. Also of interest to me is palaeography, with mostly looking for those papyri which can be accurately dated based on other criteria. I have a particular interest in the Severe Style (strenger stil) of Greek handwriting styles, which only appears to have been in use during the 2nd and 3rd centuries CE. Looking forward to seeing if any of these to be published Rendel Harris Papyri are from this graphical style.

Hoping there's some dateable examples which can be added to the Database of Dateable Greek bookhands, and to which I can notify Willy Clarysse of the LDAB/Trismegistos to update there too :)
Matthew Longhorn

S Walch wrote: February 1st, 2024, 1:54 pm My interest is practically anything to do with ancient papyri (especially those yet to be published, of which there's an awful lot) and what the contents can tell us. Also of interest to me is palaeography, with mostly looking for those papyri which can be accurately dated based on other criteria. I have a particular interest in the Severe Style (strenger stil) of Greek handwriting styles, which only appears to have been in use during the 2nd and 3rd centuries CE. Looking forward to seeing if any of these to be published Rendel Harris Papyri are from this graphical style.

Hoping there's some dateable examples which can be added to the Database of Dateable Greek bookhands, and to which I can notify Willy Clarysse of the LDAB/Trismegistos to update there too :)
Aha, I see - to summarise the above, what you are telling me is that you are a nerd ;)
I will keep my eye out for any palaeographical books related to Greek to flag then
S Walch

Post by S Walch »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: February 4th, 2024, 8:22 am Aha, I see - to summarise the above, what you are telling me is that you are a nerd ;)
...yes. I could've just said that :D
I will keep my eye out for any palaeographical books related to Greek to flag then
Tyvm!

Return to “Other”