HermeneutiX: a software tool for semantic structure analysis

Bible Study software, Unicode, Fonts, Keyboards, creating Web pages in Greek, and other software issues.
cwconrad

Re: HermeneutiX: a software tool for semantic structure anal

Post by cwconrad »

Carsten Englert wrote:So I have to check if I can find a way for HermeneutiX to (at least) replace the "HermeneutiX.app is damaged and can´t be opened" message with something like "HermeneutiX.app is unsigned. Do you really want to run this application?".
But at the moment I am unwilling to spend money for something that does not return any of it.

Apart from that I will modify the current code to achieve the maximum native Mac experience without the .app Bundle.
As a long-retired impecunious academic myself, I don't take on any subscriptions I don't absolutely have to. It's nice, however, to feel relatively confident about viruses and malware.

Could you not distribute the hermeneutix.jar program by itself? I'm using a sudokumat.jar program that's accompanied by a sudokumat.cfg program that runs very nicely quite apart from an application. It decompressed into a folder including just those two files and a "readme" file. Of course one would have to open up the System Prefs Gatekeeper, but one could do that.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Carsten Englert

Post by Carsten Englert »

cwconrad wrote:[...]distribute the hermeneutix.jar program by itself? [...] Of course one would have to open up the System Prefs Gatekeeper, but one could do that.
That´s actually the way you are using it currently. You can just use the as "Portable Application" labeled distribution (which contains the same code as the Mac Bundle). In case of HermeneutiX it is the "hermeneutix.jar" and the "lib" directory containing some additional libraries (mainly for saving/loading XML and export to SVG, PNG and JPEG) and the "lang" directory containing all texts, that appear on the graphical user interface (so one might just add a similar text file to expand the available languages).

Basically you just have to decompress the .zip contents into a separate folder and you are good to go (you might as well delete the .exe, since you won´t use it on a Mac).

What comes with the Mac Application Bundle – which I am currently not enabling via code – is the association of the .hmx files (with their own icon and default opening in HermeneutiX), the increase of the allocated memory (you need more than the default for the export of larger PNGs and JPEGs – with SVG it´s just fine) and the pretty icon for the dock (which can easily be added in the code).
The main loss is the file association and the less native kind of distribution. But as you mentioned, most users should be comfortable opening a .jar as well.

By the way, you should actually be able to use the pretty HermeneutiX.app: ;)
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/45404/ma ... or-solved/
Carsten Englert
- Project Admin of HermeneutiX (tool for syntactic/semantic structure analysis) hosted on SourceForge
David M. Miller

Post by David M. Miller »

MAubrey wrote:Just curious, but what motivated you to choose SSA?
The program looks very simple and intuitive, but I'm not familiar with Semantic Structure Analysis. Can anyone point me to a simple how-to guide (with examples)?

Thanks,

David
David M. Miller
Briercrest College & Seminary
mickz

Post by mickz »

Dear David,

so far I have only German material available. But I'm working on getting the rights to use some of the English materials I have.

An older, brief introduction could be found in: "Translating The Word of God:
with Scripture and Topical Indexes" by John Beekman and John Callow (©1984 by the Summer Institute of Linguistics)

If you have access to a good theological library they might have the SSA commentary series from SIL. All titles starting with "A Semantic and Structural Analysis of ...".

For example:
A Semantic and Structural Analysis of Romans
Ellis W. Deibler, Jr.
Summer Institute of Linguistics
Preliminary Edition
© 1998 by the Summer Institute of Linguistics, Inc.
ISBN: 1-55671-072-0
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 98-61142
Printed in the United States of America
Summer Institute of Linguistics
7500 W. Camp Wisdom Road
Dallas, TX 75236, U.S.A.

Michael
Carsten Englert

The first thing I found was this book with a free preview on google books:
Discourse Analysis and the New Testament: Approaches and Results (Jeffrey Reed, Stanley E. Porter; 1999)
Beginning on page 282 it describes the SSA with a few examples. Some pages are missing in the preview, but it might suffice to give you an impression of how it works.

All other sources I found – including the (original) publications from SIL – were not available for free.
Unfortunately I am no linguist or even adept in biblical interpretation, so I can give no statement of quality for this book or the specific passage.
Carsten Englert
- Project Admin of HermeneutiX (tool for syntactic/semantic structure analysis) hosted on SourceForge
David M. Miller

Post by David M. Miller »

mickz wrote: so far I have only German material available. But I'm working on getting the rights to use some of the English materials I have.
Thanks Michael. Could you point me to the German material as well?

David
David M. Miller
Briercrest College & Seminary
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

David M. Miller wrote:
mickz wrote: so far I have only German material available. But I'm working on getting the rights to use some of the English materials I have.
Thanks Michael. Could you point me to the German material as well?
Quite a few people can read German.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
pat_hartmann

Post by pat_hartmann »

This is a really great tool for exegetical work! It's simple and intuitive while still very powerful. I got to know it by our linguistics professor, who used it during his lectures. It's a really helpful tool.

There is one problem which occurs to me on any system I try: I cannot export anything to any image format.
When I hit save the hourglass resp. the "wheel" of Win7 shows up and keeps spinning. I left both my systems (one AMD Quadcore with 8GB RAM on WinXP, one Laptop i7 with 4GB RAM on Win7 64bit) alone for quite a while (surely over 20mins) before I had another look at it. But in both cases it was still doing "something" and at the destination folder there was no image. Interestingly I could use any of the programme's features even while the hourglass/"wheel" was still spinning as if I would regularly use the programme.
I tried to export my results to any of the available image formats trying any available combination of options at least once (e.g. with comments and also without). But whatever I try, it remains doing that mysterious "something" with no visible result.

Does anybody have any clue how I can manage it to get my analyseis exported? This is really a great tool and it would be a pity if this wouldn't work.
In worst case an export to bin would be enough for me, I could reinterprete it into what I need by Python, but I do not know enough Java to fix this issue on my own.

Thanks in advance for any hint!

Pat
Carsten Englert

in short: this problem has been solved with the new version 1.12 (uploaded one day after your post).

further details via PM.
Carsten Englert

Return to “Software”