Linux GNT Lemma Search

Bible Study software, Unicode, Fonts, Keyboards, creating Web pages in Greek, and other software issues.
tdbenedict
Posts: 19
Joined: June 29th, 2014, 10:48 am

Linux GNT Lemma Search

Post by tdbenedict » September 30th, 2017, 7:10 pm

I'm looking for freeware that contains the GNT with a lemma search function. I need it for offline use. I'm a linux (ubuntu) user. I really don't care what GNT it uses (Byz, UBS, TR, etc.). I've had trouble finding anything, which is strange because I would be shocked if it doesn't exist. I feel like it must be right under my nose and I don't see it. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Tim Benedict

Ken M. Penner
Posts: 723
Joined: May 12th, 2011, 7:50 am
Location: Antigonish, NS, Canada
Contact:

Re: Linux GNT Lemma Search

Post by Ken M. Penner » September 30th, 2017, 7:20 pm

It sounds like you'd be interested in what's described at http://biblicalhumanities.org/xquery/tu ... g-000.html
Ken M. Penner
St. Francis Xavier University

tdbenedict
Posts: 19
Joined: June 29th, 2014, 10:48 am

Re: Linux GNT Lemma Search

Post by tdbenedict » September 30th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Thanks, Ken, for the suggestion.

What I'm looking for is a something with a graphical interface that I can type the lemma into, then it spits out the verse references, which then I can click on the read the verses. The reason I want this is that as I read the greek fathers, I run into words for which I'd like to check GNT usage.
Tim Benedict

Eeli Kaikkonen
Posts: 378
Joined: June 2nd, 2011, 7:49 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Linux GNT Lemma Search

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen » October 1st, 2017, 2:52 am


Jonathan Robie
Posts: 3098
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Linux GNT Lemma Search

Post by Jonathan Robie » October 3rd, 2017, 2:33 pm

tdbenedict wrote:
September 30th, 2017, 8:15 pm
Thanks, Ken, for the suggestion.

What I'm looking for is a something with a graphical interface that I can type the lemma into, then it spits out the verse references, which then I can click on the read the verses. The reason I want this is that as I read the greek fathers, I run into words for which I'd like to check GNT usage.
Are you OK using the command line? If so, you could install Saxon and get the data that Ken pointed you to. You can search for sentences that contain a lemma, and return the sentence itself. I can help you with the path expression if you like. xmllint also allows path expressions.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Jonathan Robie
Posts: 3098
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Linux GNT Lemma Search

Post by Jonathan Robie » October 3rd, 2017, 2:34 pm

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
October 1st, 2017, 2:52 am
Have you tried https://www.crosswire.org/applications/ ?
I haven't looked for a few years - which of these allow search by lemma?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Eeli Kaikkonen
Posts: 378
Joined: June 2nd, 2011, 7:49 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Linux GNT Lemma Search

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen » October 3rd, 2017, 4:35 pm

Jonathan Robie wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 2:34 pm
I haven't looked for a few years - which of these allow search by lemma?
Sorry, I haven't either, but the engine is able to do lemma search if the text module includes lemmas. Some Greek modules have at least Strong's numbers which work as lemmas.

Jonathan Robie
Posts: 3098
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Linux GNT Lemma Search

Post by Jonathan Robie » October 3rd, 2017, 4:48 pm

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 4:35 pm
Jonathan Robie wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 2:34 pm
I haven't looked for a few years - which of these allow search by lemma?
Sorry, I haven't either, but the engine is able to do lemma search if the text module includes lemmas. Some Greek modules have at least Strong's numbers which work as lemmas.
True, some of them do let you search by Strong's numbers.

Unfortunately, the OP says he needs offline access. Several websites let you do this.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Eeli Kaikkonen
Posts: 378
Joined: June 2nd, 2011, 7:49 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Linux GNT Lemma Search

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen » October 3rd, 2017, 5:49 pm

Jonathan Robie wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 4:48 pm
Unfortunately, the OP says he needs offline access. Several websites let you do this.
Hmm, doesn't "offline" mean "without network access"? That's what installable Bible software does. Websites are for online access, right?

Jonathan Robie
Posts: 3098
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Linux GNT Lemma Search

Post by Jonathan Robie » October 3rd, 2017, 6:24 pm

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 5:49 pm
Jonathan Robie wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 4:48 pm
Unfortunately, the OP says he needs offline access. Several websites let you do this.
Hmm, doesn't "offline" mean "without network access"? That's what installable Bible software does. Websites are for online access, right?
Right. I think some of the websites are better than the free installable Bible software for this particular task. Then again, if he is comfortable with the shell, so is working with the data and an XPath processor, as I mentioned earlier.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest